To live content with small means; to seek elegance rather than luxury, and refinement rather than fashion; to be worthy, not respectable, and wealthy, not, rich; to listen to stars and birds, babes and sages, with open heart; to study hard; to think quietly, act frankly, talk gently, await occasions, hurry never; in a word, to let the spiritual, unbidden and unconscious, grow up through the common--this is my symphony.
~William Henry Channing

Monday, January 10, 2011

The Difference a Few Days Can Make

For Christmas Claire got a great big easel with a chalk board on one side and a dry erase board on the other. It gets used a lot so I guess it was a fine substitute for the kitchen set that just didn't happen. (Long, long story short I find the plastic kitchens rather ugly and the wooden ones...especially this one...so precious but also very pricey. I have since found some nifty diy ones on the web so she may get a kitchen set yet :-)
Anyway, the easel is enjoyed on a regular basis and she has even started writing her letters and is learning to spell her name.  What has been interesting to watch is her progress.  Here's a little back story...in all his older brother wisdom and helpfulness, Sam had pointed out to Claire on her first drawing that arms didn't come out of a person's head. So back to the drawing board she went. She was quite proud and after covering his mouth shushing Sam so he would stop offering drawing advice, I snapped this picture. Those weird ear shaped things?Those are shoulders. And of course those lines are the arms which are no longer sprouting off of the head.


Then over the weekend she drew another person. This time minus the weird shoulder/ear deformity. She was very precise on coloring in the skirt.
She's learning.

4 comments:

BeckyJ said...

I love that you captured this! I vividly remember my baby sister Jillian drawing like that and watching her improvements. (Probably because she drew in my diary, which I still have.) The difference in her drawings is dramatic! She will be reading in no time flat. I hope you blog about her progress so we can enjoy it vicariously through you! :)

Marty said...

As if I wouldn't ;-)
I'm already having little emotional storms about her going to K5 next year...my baby is growing up!

iarepilotswife said...

Let's not talk about babies growing up right now. I'm a hormonally emotional beast as it is. I don't need any other reasons to tear up.

Oh, and by the way, Claire's drawings are so cute, and your telling of the tale was completely adorable!

I so miss being around.

Marty said...

We miss you being around...I'm looking forward to your next visit and not just because my car window will get fixed :-)