To live content with small means; to seek elegance rather than luxury, and refinement rather than fashion; to be worthy, not respectable, and wealthy, not, rich; to listen to stars and birds, babes and sages, with open heart; to study hard; to think quietly, act frankly, talk gently, await occasions, hurry never; in a word, to let the spiritual, unbidden and unconscious, grow up through the common--this is my symphony.
~William Henry Channing

Friday, January 28, 2011

Decisions, Decisions, Decisions

Totally unrelated to the title of this post but too cute to not share:

Yesterday, our moms group got together here at the house. I'm pretty sure I've mentioned how adorable all my friends' kids are before, but let me just tell you again so it's fresh in your mind.
They all have really adorable kids.
The last two moms and I were finishing up the tidying process at the end of our visit and I needed to get something out of the living room. I walk out and gasped with shock (and none to little amusement.) I called out to the baby momma that needed to see what her young one had done. 
Little Mr. B had shimmied up one of the chairs and onto the dining room table (please keep in mind that we have the oh, so stylish high table and bar stools and Mr. B is not quite one and a half I think?) Anyway, he was very calmly sitting in the middle of the table with the plate of brownies in front of him having a snack. When Mom came into the room***I do hereby promise to tell the whole truth and nothing but the truth***he winked at her! On purpose, pulled the I-am-so-stinkin-cute-you-can't-help-but-laugh move as easily as he was breathing. I almost had to sit down I was laughing so hard.
Excuse the tonal quality to the photo. Somebody (me) forgot to check and reset my white balance settings. Please note the brownie gripped in his left hand and the crumb on his chubby cheek.

Now about my post title. 
Sometimes I have a boatload wee bit of trouble making decisions. Mainly if the decision is a choice between somethings. Ask my friend Mel. She coined the phrase 'unshopping' after going with me to Hobby Lobby where I picked up and carted around and then returned to the shelf half a dozen items half a dozen times. 
Almost from the beginning when I decided to work my way through the alphabet for my 52 weeks project, I knew that I didn't want to do obvious word choices. There'd be no apple for 'a' or ball for 'b'. This has required some thinking and planning ahead on my part but I'm okay with that. I want the whole exercise to be a challenge in creativity. Several weeks ago I decided that my word for 'd' would be disguise. It seemed fun and opened the door to all kinds of ideas. 
It didn't work out. Here is the problem with planning ahead for me...sometimes I have too much time to plan and there is no way that I will be able to create in real time what I see in my head. I just couldn't get the right look or angle or something. I worked it though. I tried really hard to make it work.
First with Sam:(The wink is a nice touch isn't it?)

Then Sam with Buzz Lightyear: (I'm pretty sure Buzz could have worked a little harder to make this work don't you?)
Then I tried it with Claire: (The black really brings out the color of her eyes.)
Back to Buzz: (Come on, Buzz! You could at least try not to look so bored. Such a prima donna!)
Even at the last minute I was trying to make disguise work. Abby was horsing around this morning before school with a fake nose. (What? You don't have fake noses and mustaches at your house?)
Nothing.
It just wasn't working for me.
I went with something totally different and if you pop over to 52 Weeks you can check it out. It isn't extremely creative and not really fun either. 
If you do go see what made week four...I should have stuck with disguise shouldn't I?
Dang it.
My one rule is that I can't go back and change out pictures after I've posted them.
Sa la vie.

1 comments:

Roni said...

LOL Marty...I just love this. It so makes me smile. The very best part for me? "Unshopping!" I was cracking up over that and it's SO me.:) Really enjoy reading you, so very much!