To live content with small means; to seek elegance rather than luxury, and refinement rather than fashion; to be worthy, not respectable, and wealthy, not, rich; to listen to stars and birds, babes and sages, with open heart; to study hard; to think quietly, act frankly, talk gently, await occasions, hurry never; in a word, to let the spiritual, unbidden and unconscious, grow up through the common--this is my symphony.
~William Henry Channing

Monday, December 13, 2010

The Wish List

The other day I came across an art book that I knew a friend of mine would enjoy. I emailed her the link and told her that if I had gobs of money and could buy Christmas gifts for all of my friends this is what I would give her :-)  I do that a lot...find something that I think so and so would like and oh, wouldn't that shirt look nice on such and such and let's buy everybody nice sweaters and teach them how to dance. No, wait that's from a song by Ingrid Michaelson.
Anyway, this is usually the problem I run into when trying to make a wish list for myself. I have a hard time finding and picking out stuff but I have persevered this year and come up with an actual Christmas list.

I mentioned my butter bell being broken and I really would love another one. But I didn't mention that at Hall's  Hardware in Milton you can get individual ones, too. How cool would it be to have a Momma butter bell and a bunch of little baby butter bells for when I set the table for special dinners?

Socks. Ridiculous I know, but I need/want some socks. I'd like some nice solid black dress ones but also just some fun patterned ones and pretty ones too. And probably just some plain old white ones, too. I don't like ankle socks though, at least not during winter.

About that camera lens.  After my post last week, my fellow photographer Jessica, reminded me that the 1.8 does a pretty stellar job with a much smaller price tag. I've used both and would still love to have the 1.4 one day but until then I'd be quite happy with a 1.8 :-) Oh, and the cordless shutter release is still on the list, too.

Something else that I've added to the list is the Pincushion quilt and pillow shams from Better Homes and Garden for our bed. I found it at Walmart rather cheap inexpensive. Which is actually why I want it. We need something on the bed until I find the one I want to invest good money in to keep forever and ever. Until then, this one is pretty dandy. And it will blend nicely with some wonderful fabric I have been holding onto for something special for the windows and a wall treatment.


Also from Walmart, this computer game. Although truth be told, I'm a little nervous because I loved playing Bejeweled Blitz when I had a Facebook account but it could stop time and before I knew it I'd lose forty five minutes playing. I want it but I'll probably need to set up some serious boundaries for when I could play. Kind of like we do for Sam's computer time :-)

Music...I am outing myself here but I want a Darius Rucker cd. I am fascinated that the Hootie and the Blowfish front man has gone country. Plus I really like his voice. I also like a fellow named Christ Isaak and his greatest hits album would make a snazzy little stocking stuffer.

Books...Choosing to See by Mary Beth Chapman. I remember crying my eyes out when the Chapmans' lost their little girl in such a tragic accident. As a mother I want to read how she has dealt with that kind of suffering because my mind can't even comprehend it. I also would really like a copy of Keeping House: The Litany of the Home. And I would like to own a copy of The Hidden Art of Homemaking by Elizabeth Shaeffer. I read it once many moons ago and I think it would do me good to reread it.

Hmm, what else? I like those cute little cupcake stands. Some new gloves would be nice. But contrary to Emily's thinking I do not want a new ironing board or iron. Even though I do need them. And it really is sweet that she was thinking of something that I could use.
But no, I'd rather not.
I may be back later to post my pictures for the DPP. I have day twelve and thirteen but not the time to put them up. I've got a project to go work on with Sarah. And that dear friends, is more important than posting a picture :-)

2 comments:

Rob said...

There's something missing, Love. What about the handwritten gift certificate for a pedicure that never materializes? I thought you LOVED that?!

Sheepishly,
Your Husband

Marty said...

It crossed my mind but I figured that would make my slip show a bit :-)