To live content with small means; to seek elegance rather than luxury, and refinement rather than fashion; to be worthy, not respectable, and wealthy, not, rich; to listen to stars and birds, babes and sages, with open heart; to study hard; to think quietly, act frankly, talk gently, await occasions, hurry never; in a word, to let the spiritual, unbidden and unconscious, grow up through the common--this is my symphony.
~William Henry Channing

Thursday, December 2, 2010

There. I Said It.

I mentioned earlier that Sam is already getting us into the Christmas spirit by forcing encouraging us to listen to holiday music. For the most part it's fine and I really don't mind.
Guilty pleasure: I enjoy Mariah Carey belting out All I Want for Christmas and the Jackson Five's Santa Claus is Coming to Town.
I also like the old crooners like Bing Crosby, Dean Martin and I'm pretty close to doing a little jig when Brenda Lee starts Rocking Around the Christmas Tree.
My favorite Christmas hymns are Come, O Come ImmanuelO Holy Night, and We Three Kings.

I absolutely hate, despise and refuse to listen...and will actually choose to listen to the most annoying set of radio commercials than hear:
1. Last Christmas~ it doesn't matter who sings it but I especially cringe when it's George Michael.
2. Grandma Got Ran Over by a Reindeer~have never understood why this is even a song.
3. The Christmas Shoes~my holiday is a success if I can completely avoid having to hear even one note of    this ridiculous song.
All three of these songs hold the power to make my ears bleed while I cower in a corner rocking back and forth.
And as long as I am confessing my musical preference and possibly ticking off family and friends I will also say that I am so over Mary Did You Know. Yes, the words are beautiful and I can do it once, maybe twice and then...ack! Enough already!

Well, I feel better for getting that off my chest. Carry on.

5 comments:

Kait said...

Ohmegoodness! We like the same songs! My top three faves are O Come O Come Emmanuel, We Three Kings, and Mary Did You Know. :-)

Kait said...

Oh and What Child Is This...That's one of my all time favorites too. Probably ties with Mary Did You Know, which I will never forgive you for disliking. ;-)

Anonymous said...

Ha ha! Just a few minutes ago Taylor said (sarcastically) "I just heard my FAVorite Christmas song on the radio. Guess which one!" I went through a few, then said, "Last Christmas by George Michael." He said, "YES! Wait, what? A GUY sings that?! No way!"

Ha ha! I had to show him the video because he couldn't believe it. Yeah, we despise that song too! I agree with the rest of your list as well, both loves and hates. I also love Little Drummer Boy as done by the Vienna Boys Choir. Beautiful.

Oh, and have you heard Lisa Schroeder sing O Holy Night? Just lovely.

BeckyJ

Kait said...

Mrs.J;

Haha! I said the EXACT same thing when Mrs. White told me a guy sang that! I was like "NO WAY!" -- I thought it was a girl the whole time!

Tell the family I say hi!

- Kait

WunderMom said...

Will do, Katie Lou!