To live content with small means; to seek elegance rather than luxury, and refinement rather than fashion; to be worthy, not respectable, and wealthy, not, rich; to listen to stars and birds, babes and sages, with open heart; to study hard; to think quietly, act frankly, talk gently, await occasions, hurry never; in a word, to let the spiritual, unbidden and unconscious, grow up through the common--this is my symphony.
~William Henry Channing

Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Stray Thoughts Times Two

Told you I'd probably be back. It's just that kind of day...a sit around and blog random thoughts. I'm not neglecting my chores though. Just taking a break and having some lunch.
I'm eating a hot dog.
I'm jealous that Rob had Sonny's bar-b-que.
I do like hot dogs though. Cheap franks...not the cheap red ones though. They're gross. The middle of the price road Ball Park ones. Yum.
Have I mentioned that all of our beef that we got last spring is gone except for a few steaks? (And liver. I mean lots of liver. I don't cook liver. Or eat it. Ever. Okay, I tried it last week when Rob's mother came over and made some for him...I can state with total conviction that I think liver is gross. Like way worse than the cheap red hot dogs gross.)  Anyway, the first time I had to go back to the store and buy beef was a sad sad day. There really is a major difference in the quality and taste between store bought and the stuff you get direct from someone who has raised the cows locally. The good news is that another family has split a quarter of a cow with us and we'll be getting the meat today. I'm not exactly sure how much meat or what cuts we'll be getting but I'm doing a happy dance nonetheless.
Have I also mentioned that my family is coming Saturday to celebrate Christmas with my out of town sisters? Yep, twenty six people eating dinner in my house. I'm not concerned at all about where we'll all sit. Or cooking for that many people. What's the big deal? We're only creating family memories that will last a life time. (In case it isn't translating well I am speaking with a certain amount of hyperbole (points for a big word like hyperbole~pronounced hyper-bowl) Seriously, I am looking forward to my family with all its loudness and craziness being here. My Mother, sisters and I will be scrap booking all morning. We're all supposed to bring any and all family pictures to share. We can make copies and do pages for each member. Then we can keep adding to them each year.
My liver cooking mother-in-law keeps asking me what I want for Christmas. I don't really know and truth be told I'm quite contrary about the whole thing. I want stuff that I would want. But I hate telling people stuff I want because I really like surprises. I hate knowing what I'm getting. In the seventh grade I poked around until I found the boots I had been asking for. It ruined my Christmas and ever since then I don't try to figure it out. But I've gone to the extreme by not even wanting to give ideas because even though I want the things I don't want to know what I'm getting. It's a bit like chasing your tail. (Actually, it was my cell phone ringing somewhere behind me and I kept spinning in circles trying to find it only to realize it was in my back pocket and not on either counter that had me spinning in circles but you get my point, right?) My point is that I am trying to come up with a wish list. So far I have...
A new butter bell. I dropped mine and broke the lid. I also dropped an open bag of frozen corn but I do not want a bag of frozen corn for Christmas.
The Canon 1.4 50mm lens...yep, it cost about $360 so I'm pretty sure it won't happen (I'm good with that because I'd probably feel really guilty that someone spent that much money on a gift for me anyway). But it's a wish list so it's on there.
I would also like a remote shutter release for my camera. A cordless one would be oh, so cool.
I think I might also want a pair of boots. I wear a lot of skirts and I'd like something to keep my feet warm but still looks nice. Casual though. Which completely lets out Uggs because...well, ugh. This may not really need to be on the list because I'm not sure someone else could buy these. Okay, never mind on the boots.
I'm sure there are a couple of books and some music I'd like but lunch break is over and I have to get back to it if I'm going to be ready for Church tonight. (Twice baked potatoes...delicious!)
I'll add more as I can think of it, though.

4 comments:

Christine said...

Well well, it's not very often that I check out other blogs and find myself wanting to stay. There are just too many and as your quote at the top states, just too many other things to do and try to do well.

I love that quote by the way. It sucked me in and made me think I might like this space. And then I saw your photos and the fact that you would like a 1.4 (uh-huh), and a shutter remote. Those are the only two upgrades I have desired to make as well. And then you said that thing about boots and well, my husband would tell you how it's all I talked about for years (wearing uggs under jeans for warmth, but not with those skirts!), and finally last year found a simple enough pair with no heal, cause I'm too tall for those.

So all that to say, "hi" from blog world... I found you in the DPP flickr group and it's lovely to "meet" you. Wishing you a thoughtful and joy-filled holiday!

Marty said...

Hi Christine! Thanks for dropping by...one of the reasons I enjoy DPP so much is the neat people you can meet and wonderful blogs to visit.
Come back anytime :-)

iarepilotswife said...

You dropped your butter ball lid? And before that your favorite mug?
Goodness, I think my family's butter fingers have maybe done a little transfer...

I'm also jealous of Rob's getting BBQ. And of your hotdog.

I heart hotdogs in a big way. With chili, onion, cheese...

Mm.

Like your use of hyper-bowl in this post. :)

Jessie said...

I love your wishlist! I keep an Amazon wishlist year-round and look at it as a list of goals. LOL. It also comes in handy around Christmas and my birthday.

I know we talked about the 50mm lenses before and when I read this yesterday i thought of you... they compared the 1.8 and 1.4 and the results surprised me! http://www.adorama.com/alc/article/50mm-lens-shoot-out-f18-or-f14 (Especially surprising since it's a retail outlet posting the results - seems they'd want to get you to buy the more expensive one!) Just thought I'd pass that along.