To live content with small means; to seek elegance rather than luxury, and refinement rather than fashion; to be worthy, not respectable, and wealthy, not, rich; to listen to stars and birds, babes and sages, with open heart; to study hard; to think quietly, act frankly, talk gently, await occasions, hurry never; in a word, to let the spiritual, unbidden and unconscious, grow up through the common--this is my symphony.
~William Henry Channing

Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Stray Thoughts and Today's DPP

I did not want to get up this morning. It's overcast and the kind of day where you just want to snuggle up and read a good book and drink coffee, tea or hot cocoa. Of course I didn't know this at 5:30 this morning but I could feel it.
Plus, I'm pretty sure I've done some serious damage to my second to last toe...(why are the only toes given names the big one and the pinkie? Doesn't seem fair.) Sam lost his pillow in the middle of the night and woke me up to get it. Actually Sarah heard him and came and woke me up to find out what he needed. Why would a nine year old boy need someone to come find his pillow in the middle of the night instead of finding it himself? I've no idea except that he is on a bunk bed so maybe it was better that he didn't climb down in the dark.
Or, he's just ridiculously spoiled.
And why would the fifteen year old walk all the way across the house to wake up her Mother instead of just tending to the problem herself? Or at least assess whether she could deal with it without waking her Mother? It seems that walking across the house in the dark to wake me is preferable to going into her brother's dark room where he could possibly be chatting with bad guys who have sneaked into the house.
Either way, I hit a door jam at 3:30 am and can no longer wear a shoe on the poor offended appendage. My trip to Walmart this morning was a blast let me tell. I had a sneaker on my right foot and a slipper on my left foot.
Abby: "Mom, I thought you were going to the store after you drop us at school.?"
Me: "I am."
Abby: "You're wearing two different shoes."
Me: "Yes, I know."
**incredulous look combined with one of relief that I'm not going to drag them into the store with me**
This coming from a child who thinks that if there is a smidgen of pink in her shirt, regardless of it's shade or pattern, should match just fine with the smidgen of pink found on her pants regardless of it's shade or pattern.
**please visualize my eye roll here**

Two brief conversations Rob has had recently with Sam and Claire respectfully...
Sam: "Dad, is this dirty?"
Rob: "What is it?"
Sam : "Claire's shirt. Is it dirty?"
Rob: "I don't know."
Sam: "Here, smell it."
Rob: "You smell it."

The one with Claire wasn't actually a conversation. It was her response to Rob tickling and her and pinching her little bum.
Claire: "Dad! Stop pinching my bootocks!"

I'm sure I have more stray thoughts floating around in my head but I have some chores to do. I think I'm going to make some sugar cookies.
With white chocolate chips.
And cranberries.
But I'll probably be back :-)

0 comments: