To live content with small means; to seek elegance rather than luxury, and refinement rather than fashion; to be worthy, not respectable, and wealthy, not, rich; to listen to stars and birds, babes and sages, with open heart; to study hard; to think quietly, act frankly, talk gently, await occasions, hurry never; in a word, to let the spiritual, unbidden and unconscious, grow up through the common--this is my symphony.
~William Henry Channing

Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Potato Candy

Remember when I mentioned that my family seems to have an addiction problem with potatoes? Well, I have hit an all new high with potatoes this week. My mother-in-law let me try a piece of potato candy.
Yep, it's candy made with mashed potatoes.
And peanut butter.
And confectioners sugar. A lot of confectioners sugar. (By 'a lot' I mean I may have developed diabetes just by making it.)
I tried to find the origin and history behind potato candy but there is a lot of conflicting info out there. Some say it was a poor woman's treat for her family during the depression others thought it was just an old family tradition. But don't confuse it with Irish potato candy that is made with coconut instead of potatoes. Anyway, I digress (I totally used that word for my friend Lauren because she loves bloggers who use the word 'digress')




Take 1/2 cup of mashed potatoes (One recipe said you could add milk and butter like normal but I thought this was weird and went with the recipe that didn't call for it. The milk may make it more smooth though, I don't know.)



Add one box of confectioners sugar to your potato but have more on hand because you will need it. At first I thought I had done something wrong because it was pretty dry so I stopped mixing with a fork and used my hands. It didn't take long that way for the dough to get really wet and sticky. You just keep adding the sugar until a dough forms that you can roll out.


I think it sort of looks like a brain don't you? Lightly dust your work area with more sugar to keep the dough from sticking. I used two sheets of parchment paper with the dough sandwiched in between to roll it flat. My ball was big enough that I thought it would be smarter to separate it into two sections so it would be easier to work with.
 Once it's flat you spread peanut butter on it. On the first one I was a little skimpy on the pb but the next one I added more.
Then you just roll it up like a log. I kept a knife handy for when it seemed to want to stick and it went pretty smoothly. The ends weren't exactly even but you're going to cut it up anyway so no big deal.
I let mine chill for about an hour in the refrigerator and then I sliced it into little pinwheels.
They are quite tasty but very, very rich.
(The picture is big because it's my December Photo Project photo.)
So, now I can say that I've made candy with a potato. I'm sure it has made me a better person and enhanced my life experience.It has also given me a tremendous sugar rush.
But what I really want are some buckeyes.
I love holiday baking.

2 comments:

BeckyJ said...

I saw these on a blog the other day and wanted to try making them! I didn't realize how much sugar you add- wow! They look awesome!

I'm with you on the buckeyes. Yum! I'm hoping to get some made this year.

I wish I had your photography skills. Blogs are so much more interesting with good pics. I want to get a decent point and shoot because Taylor's camera eludes me. My pics won't be anywhere near yours, but at least they won't be cell phone pics anymore...ugh!

Marty said...

I think you rock the cell phone thing...I don't even know how to get my phone pictures to my computer :-)
The candy is good but very rich...almost too much so. But I'm glad I tried it.