To live content with small means; to seek elegance rather than luxury, and refinement rather than fashion; to be worthy, not respectable, and wealthy, not, rich; to listen to stars and birds, babes and sages, with open heart; to study hard; to think quietly, act frankly, talk gently, await occasions, hurry never; in a word, to let the spiritual, unbidden and unconscious, grow up through the common--this is my symphony.
~William Henry Channing

Wednesday, December 22, 2010

I Know

It's been a while but with the wedding this past weekend and just normal holiday stuff it's been kind of crazy. Right now I'm waiting for Rob to get out of bed so he can go with me to finish up our Christmas shopping.
That's right. He is going to go shopping with me.
Let me give you a little back history. It's not that he doesn't like giving our children gifts...but he hates the way Christmas can become if one isn't careful...too too-muchness if you know what I mean. He wants their gifts to be deliberate and well suited and not just buying something just for the sake of buying something for someone to have something to open.
(It is also important to note that he cannot stand clutter.)
I'm good with all that. But it does make for some interesting shopping excursions and conversations. Case in point...this mornings conversation.
"Are you going to go shopping with me today?"
"Yes." (This is hard because when you just read the word 'yes' it seems as if everything is fine...you have to hear it as a drawn out 'yes' with an undercurrent of something way less than enthusiasm.)
"Are you going to be a grouchy and say no to everything I want to buy the kids?"
Turns his head to give me a sheer I-can't-believe-you-are-even-asking-that look...
"Uhm. Yes."

This is going to be so fun.
:-)

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

fa la la la laaaa la la la laaaa