To live content with small means; to seek elegance rather than luxury, and refinement rather than fashion; to be worthy, not respectable, and wealthy, not, rich; to listen to stars and birds, babes and sages, with open heart; to study hard; to think quietly, act frankly, talk gently, await occasions, hurry never; in a word, to let the spiritual, unbidden and unconscious, grow up through the common--this is my symphony.
~William Henry Channing

Sunday, December 26, 2010

I Got It! I Got It!

In all my rambling about creating a wish list I didn't mention one thing.
I hate making a list and then not getting the stuff on it.
There. I have now revealed my selfishness. I don't like to make list because I don't want to be disappointed when I don't get something from the list. It's not that I have to get everything on the list. But if I'm going to go through the trouble of looking for things that I want to make a list so it's easier to get me something then I want the stuff on the list, ya know?
So I got my socks that were on my list. Annnnndddddddddddd...
I got it! I got it!
(Totally off topic here but when I thought of 'I Got It! I Got It' as the title of this post I completely started singing 8675309 by Tommy Tutone :-)
Back on topic.
I got it! I got it!
My beloved gave me the 50 mm 1.8 on my list.
Sigh. I'm in love.
No, not with the lens silly. With him.
But the lens is really, really cool. And I like it a lot. It has some way crazy bokeh (that's background blur for you non-photog peeps) which gives it some sa-weet focus. I even took a self portrait with it.

 
The focus is ridiculously sensitive and I mean that in a good way. But I'm going to need to practice quite a bit to make sure I can really nail the technical aspects in camera. Because sometimes a blurry photo says something artsy and sometimes is just screams bad picture.
I've already started practicing. Duh, right? Just look how sweet Claire looks.

This is such an awesome gift.
(The socks were pretty cool too.)

5 comments:

Kat Sloma said...

Congrats! It will change your photography. My original 50mm 1.8 lens was a start of a slippery slope of wonderful lens purchases. :)

Marty said...

I have a feeling that is where I'm headed too :-)

Kait said...

Oh that is TOOOOOO cool! I'm jealous. ;-)

iarepilotswife said...

I can't say that I'm jealous about your lens so much, but your ability to take a sweet-awesome picture...

Yeah, I'm jealous about that.

Jessie said...

YAY! So excited for you and for the pictures to come! :D