To live content with small means; to seek elegance rather than luxury, and refinement rather than fashion; to be worthy, not respectable, and wealthy, not, rich; to listen to stars and birds, babes and sages, with open heart; to study hard; to think quietly, act frankly, talk gently, await occasions, hurry never; in a word, to let the spiritual, unbidden and unconscious, grow up through the common--this is my symphony.
~William Henry Channing

Friday, December 10, 2010

Day 10

I think even more than the actual cooking, I enjoy the presentation. The simplest of food, the leanest of meals, can be enjoyed with more than the tongue. It can be a feast for the eyes that makes it all the more pleasurable. 
This morning I filled these little mini cupcakes holders with thirty-six fudge balls coated in confectioners sugar. I'll make another three dozen rolled in toffee bits. No one has ever complained when I've just dropped them in a dish or on a plate...they'll eat just the same. But for me there is something infinitely more pleasing about them sitting in their pretty white papers even if no one else really notices. I don't do it so someone will say something...I do it to enhance the experience. And everything is better when pretty things are around.

2 comments:

iarepilotswife said...

Fudge balls rolled in toffee bits...

Yeah. I'll eat them. You don't even have to take them out of the fridge and put them on a plate.

Lauren said...

I am just wondering why the photo is of the empty cups instead of the fudge balls in the cups. Was it to make it easier on us?