To live content with small means; to seek elegance rather than luxury, and refinement rather than fashion; to be worthy, not respectable, and wealthy, not, rich; to listen to stars and birds, babes and sages, with open heart; to study hard; to think quietly, act frankly, talk gently, await occasions, hurry never; in a word, to let the spiritual, unbidden and unconscious, grow up through the common--this is my symphony.
~William Henry Channing

Saturday, November 27, 2010

Unbelievable

If I hadn't seen it with my own eyes I probably wouldn't believe it. But I was there people, and let me tell you it was the most selfless act of friendship I've ever witnessed. I am humbled and totally in awe.
Before this morning I would have said I was a good friend and a good mother but now the bar has risen so high I'm not sure I will ever attain the status that my friend Melynda achieved in one single act of heroism that will go down in history.
We were sitting on the couch with some of the kids enjoying coffee and some benign conversation when her youngest starts acting a little odd. She pulled him onto her lap and was talking to him when it happened. He began to yark...a lot.
And my friend was worried about my couch. My couch!
So she didn't move or hold him away from her. She never even flinched as an entire sippy cup of milk came back to haunt us all.
I couldn't do it. I know I would never be that friend. I'm sorry if we're sitting on your couch and one of my kids begins to barf all over me, the best I'm gonna do is try not to throw said kid on the floor and leap away. I might try to lean the child over the furniture so that it lands on the carpet but that's it. That's the end of my heroic efforts to protect you and your stuff. I'm a coward...I will run away from the target area if at all possible when barf grenades are launched.
She is a true hero. An example of selflessness that we can all learn from.
   :-)

4 comments:

Lauren said...

that is unbelievable.

iarepilotswife said...

Hey, I think I was blogging about this episode at the same time you were!
In the same house, too!

Marty said...

We are so amazing...but obviously you are more amazing because you actually threw yourself in the path of a vomit bomb.

Cate said...

What a woman!