To live content with small means; to seek elegance rather than luxury, and refinement rather than fashion; to be worthy, not respectable, and wealthy, not, rich; to listen to stars and birds, babes and sages, with open heart; to study hard; to think quietly, act frankly, talk gently, await occasions, hurry never; in a word, to let the spiritual, unbidden and unconscious, grow up through the common--this is my symphony.
~William Henry Channing

Saturday, November 6, 2010

Sam Stories

This morning I was leaving to take Sarah to volunteer with some other students at a big family fun day at Sacred Heart Hospital, when I got the usual question I get from the children when Sarah and I leave to go anywhere together. This time it came from Sam.

"But, Mom. Who's in charge?"
My response was to remind them all that Daddy was home and in charge. I knew Rob would be trying to get some work done as well so I also urged them to pretend Daddy wasn't there. Basically, he's in charge but unless it's an emergency, Emily could handle things. It's good training for her and let's Daddy actually get some work done.
Things were moving along rather nicely until Rob had heard enough of Sam's drum concert.
"Son, you have to be done with the drums now."
Sam: "Aaaahhhhhhhhhh!", throwing hands up and turning his face away. "You're making me disobey! Mom said to pretend you weren't here!"

He still had to abandon the drum solo.

There are a couple more funny Sam stories involving a whoopee cushion and a hymnal over on Rob's blog. And there might be one about Claire and her thoughts on Rob's age.

0 comments: