To live content with small means; to seek elegance rather than luxury, and refinement rather than fashion; to be worthy, not respectable, and wealthy, not, rich; to listen to stars and birds, babes and sages, with open heart; to study hard; to think quietly, act frankly, talk gently, await occasions, hurry never; in a word, to let the spiritual, unbidden and unconscious, grow up through the common--this is my symphony.
~William Henry Channing

Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Poor Thing

My morning started with Claire yarking at six am. **(Yark and all its derivatives, ie yarkage, yarking, etc. is a word that I think Rob made up when Emily was little.)** We have friends at school with the bug and friends at church with the bug. Unless you are willing to sequester your entire household the odds are that somewhere along the way you or someone in your family is going to get it. I really don't stress too much about it. It'll happen or not.

At this point I just sort of hold my breath every time the phone rings in case it's the school calling for me to pick up one of the girls.
And laundry. You can bet your bippy* that I'm stripping bed linens. I may not hide from the general public when there's a virus making the rounds but I will do what I can to stop it from getting to far in the house.
Which brings me to the purpose of this post.
Claire asked why her blankets were on the floor of the laundry room. I told her I wanted to wash them because she was sick.
"Oh, yea. Because I over-throwed up."
Not sure where 'over-throwed' came from but it made me giggle.

*(I'm not really sure what a bippy is...I'm pretty sure I've heard it before though so I cannot add it to our family list of made up vocabulary words.)
**Apparently yark is a real word found in the urban dictionary...with a pretty tacky second definition. Don't look it up...just trust me...we may just start using Claire's over-throw.

7 comments:

Kevin Heifner said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Lauren said...

Hope she feels better and I hope it doesn't pass to anyone else.

Marty said...

Whoa, it's a real word? Not sure I'll use it anymore after reading that second definition...gross.
I better go issue a retraction on the blog :-)

iarepilotswife said...

Hang on -
I'm on my way over with chicken soup and mint leaves.
Oh. Wait.
:(
At least I'm on my way over in my heart.

Hey, at least it's this week and not next.

Kevin Heifner said...

Deleted my link to definition.

paula said...

Oh no, I am SO sorry and I hope it didn't come from us. :( Camilla got over it so fast that I would still think she had only eaten something unpleasant, if not for our own flu episode. (It took me three days to finish all the laundry, though, so you are FAST.)

Robin said...

I hope no one else gets sick...
xo
Robin
All Things Heart and HOme