To live content with small means; to seek elegance rather than luxury, and refinement rather than fashion; to be worthy, not respectable, and wealthy, not, rich; to listen to stars and birds, babes and sages, with open heart; to study hard; to think quietly, act frankly, talk gently, await occasions, hurry never; in a word, to let the spiritual, unbidden and unconscious, grow up through the common--this is my symphony.
~William Henry Channing

Monday, November 22, 2010

On Sunday

I was home with (surprise!) a sick child. Thankfully, Emmie didn't have it as bad as some but she was too iffy for church.
I don't like to miss gathering with my church family for worship but I kept myself busy by doing some crafty things that have been on my 'to do' list.
I love all things pumpkin flavored but there are other yummy taste to explore. Next on my list of favorite fall cooking ingredients is cranberries. So when I saw this recipe from Juicy Juice for cranberry applesauce I knew I had to try it. Simply put it's delicious and very easy to make.
Claire was quite funny about it. She didn't like the 'dots' meaning the cranberries :-)

I really am in awe of people who re-purpose stuff be it clothing, furniture or whatever. I've always been especially fond of the idea of turning a pair of old jeans into a skirt. Using this photo tutorial I took Emily's favorite pair of jeans that had gotten to short and made them into a sweet new skirt for her. I'm sure this is not earth shattering for some because the idea has been around for ages but I was pretty excited about how well it turned out. FYI, the most time consuming part was ripping out the inseams. (Didn't notice until now how wrinkled the skirt is...oops!)
As long as I had my sewing machine out I decided to cut off one of Claire's sun dresses from this summer and make her a skirt. There wasn't anything wrong with it except she had gotten too tall for it. By cutting it off right under the arm holes and adding elastic to make a waist band I was able to add to her wardrobe. How cute will this be with a little sweater and leggings this winter?
All in all it was a good day. To top it off my darling husband took pity on me being cooped up so much this week with sick children and got us Chinese for dinner. The in house date also included watching Iron Man II...I'm a sucker for a good comic book hero movie :-)

3 comments:

iarepilotswife said...

That picture by the apple looked like bacon to me for a second. I questioned where the chocolate was.
Clearly I've gone off the deep end.

Marty said...

Good reminder though...add to grocery list for this weekend:
dark chocolate
bacon

lots of both :-)

Lauren said...

Chinese food! That is what I got out of this post. Hummm. . . I wish food sounded really good right now.

Good job using your day at home so productively. :) Mine wasn't productive in quite the same way.