To live content with small means; to seek elegance rather than luxury, and refinement rather than fashion; to be worthy, not respectable, and wealthy, not, rich; to listen to stars and birds, babes and sages, with open heart; to study hard; to think quietly, act frankly, talk gently, await occasions, hurry never; in a word, to let the spiritual, unbidden and unconscious, grow up through the common--this is my symphony.
~William Henry Channing

Sunday, November 28, 2010

Food, Food and More Food

Anytime we get together with the Culbertson's there is always a serious amount of food involved. By serious I mean serious since we're feeding four adults and a dozen kids. Even if it's just hot dogs it's a lot.
Combine this gathering with the Thanksgiving holiday and we go from serious amounts of food to huge amounts of food. But this post is not about turkey or stuffing or forty two ways to fix left over turkey and stuffing. (I will say that my friend made the best gravy I've ever tasted. And living in the south all of my life means I've tasted some gravy y'all.)
Where was I? Other food not associated with Thanksgiving fare, right. On Saturday Ryan made a secret trip to Walmart for some secret ingredients for a secret breakfast treat. Upon his return Melynda immediately jumped into the kitchen and went to work. The smell of cooking sausage soon filled the air to dance and frolic with the aroma of scrambled eggs and tater tots.
Yep, I said tater tots.
They fed us some kind of breakfast burrito wrap thing that had tater tots in it. And whomever came up with the idea of having tater tots in the morning should be given the Nobel Peace prize. (Okay, I realize the Nobel Peace prize may be a stretch but I think world peace would be a step closer if everyone were allowed to eat tater tots in their breakfast.) Supposedly this morning concoction is a clone of something from Sonic but I'm going to pretend I don't know that because the size of my behind would be directly affected if I allowed this knowledge to seep into my conscious.
She prepared them all by hand and personalized them with things like tomatoes, jalapenos and salsa. I literally didn't eat for the rest of the day.
















All right,  all right. I may not have eaten a meal the rest of the day but I did snack a wee little bit on a dessert we made to take to church today. Not only were they tasty but they were oh, so adorable. It was pie on a stick lollipop pies. Little single size servings of pie. We made brownie pies and pumpkin pies.





 They were really easy to make so I think the girls will be making some as gifts for their friends this Christmas.






Tomorrow is back to normal around here though. No tater tots for breakfast or lollipies as Rob calls them. But that's okay. Because part of the reason some stuff is special is because it doesn't happen everyday. And after too much of the special stuff you can really appreciate the ordinary stuff.
Happy Monday!

3 comments:

iarepilotswife said...

I never did get to taste the pumpkin lollipies. I really wanted to thief one of the skin diseased ones.

I assume they all went over well at church?

Marty said...

Oh, yes...everyone seemed to enjoy them. Even the deformed ones :-)

Beckie said...

Oh! That looks like something I could do! Please tell me that you used Pillbury pie crust. And for the brownie ones, did you just put in regular brownie dough?