To live content with small means; to seek elegance rather than luxury, and refinement rather than fashion; to be worthy, not respectable, and wealthy, not, rich; to listen to stars and birds, babes and sages, with open heart; to study hard; to think quietly, act frankly, talk gently, await occasions, hurry never; in a word, to let the spiritual, unbidden and unconscious, grow up through the common--this is my symphony.
~William Henry Channing

Thursday, October 14, 2010

Everything

I've been asked this week to ponder the question of what inspires me. The answer is simple. And complex at the same time.

Everything.
In a broad sense my faith...my family...nature...lines and shapes...colors...smells.
Life inspires me.
In a more narrow sense it's worship and finding my being in the One who is sufficient.
It's the love of my life who quickens my heart and puts butterflies in my tummy.
It's the joy my children bring into my life every day...the sound of their laughter.
It's a delicate flower or a shade of green as Summer sets into Autumn.
It's the curve of a piece of thread as it pulls through the eye of a needle.
The way the color of a cherry matches my plate or the smell of a campfire.

The world around me is a conglomerate of sensory information that is at times subtle and delicate and easily missed. Other times it's an assault upon my senses that demands expression.
It's calm and boisterous. By turns soothing and driving. It's what is visible and unseen...the revealed and the hidden.
It is like the air I breathe and if I try to ignore it or get too busy to follow where it leads it's like holding my breath. At some point I have to inhale and exhale.

Another inspired shot is up at 52 weeks.

0 comments: