To live content with small means; to seek elegance rather than luxury, and refinement rather than fashion; to be worthy, not respectable, and wealthy, not, rich; to listen to stars and birds, babes and sages, with open heart; to study hard; to think quietly, act frankly, talk gently, await occasions, hurry never; in a word, to let the spiritual, unbidden and unconscious, grow up through the common--this is my symphony.
~William Henry Channing

Thursday, September 9, 2010

Jackson Pollock, Family Pictures and Good Friends

***Disclaimer...another picture heavy post :-)
One of the things Lori and I planned on doing while she was here were family pictures. Unfortunately, I got sick and we postponed our family session until they come for another visit. But we did do their pictures. Here are a few of my favorites.


The really cool thing about having a friend like Lori is that she's usually open to all my wacky ideas. To be honest, when I first showed her a portrait session I'd come across in my blog wanderings, I was showing her just because I thought it was a cool set of pictures.
Honest.
But then we kind of looked at each other and said,
"Why not?!"
Jackson Pollock is not the kind of artist everyone can appreciate. Although considered one of the great figures of abstract expressionism, I'm sure others view his work as bizarre and confusing...the kind of art that generates comments such as "My two year old could do that!" But whether or not you care for his type of art...you have to admit doing a family portrait based on what most would call splatter painting has to be fun.
And oh, boy was it!



Yea, she so started it!






We learned a few things in this session like getting clean clothes out ahead of time. We should have started earlier so the light would have been better. A different location would have been a plus. We were in our backyard and I was limited to only one angle so that the house wasn't in the background. Plan how you will transport a canvas this size on an eight hour drive back home, ya know that kind of thing.
And yes, my kids are all chomping at the bit to give this a go.
Maybe.
One day.
(PS Of course I'm ready to photograph it if anyone else is interested in being the painters!)
You can view more from their family sessions here.

5 comments:

Creative Home said...

I really like this family.

Marty said...

Me, too!
Hey, Rob loved your chicken Wednesday night...very tasty! He also was impressed with your presentation. He said you had it set up very nicely.

iarepilotswife said...

I LOVE the second to the last photo. We'll paint each other for you anytime you want to try this again.

Jessie said...

This is SO creative, I love it!

Marty said...

Thanks Jessie! It was a lot of fun.
Mel, as soon as y'all come for a visit we'll set this up. The paint and the canvas got a wee bit pricey so we'll have to get creative with supplies but, hey! That's right up your ally :-)