To live content with small means; to seek elegance rather than luxury, and refinement rather than fashion; to be worthy, not respectable, and wealthy, not, rich; to listen to stars and birds, babes and sages, with open heart; to study hard; to think quietly, act frankly, talk gently, await occasions, hurry never; in a word, to let the spiritual, unbidden and unconscious, grow up through the common--this is my symphony.
~William Henry Channing

Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Fun Was Had By All

Yesterday was just fun, plain and simple. There were seven of us Momma's and Sam was the oldest of twelve children. There were little ones crawling around and toddlers in Batman capes. There was noise and chaos and much laughter and talking. I am so excited that the Moms want to do this on a regular basis!

One of the things I served yesterday was baked oatmeal and it was a big hit. That stuff is some kind of delicious so I thought I'd share the recipe here. (Yes, I know I said I would share the Beefy Mushroom Pie thing but I need to tweak the recipe so it'll come after I've worked out the kinks :-)
Amish Baked Oatmeal
1/2 cup butter
2 2/3 large (Okay, how the heck do you do 2/3 of an egg? I just use three whole eggs.)
1 cup brown sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
2 teaspoons vanilla (I was actually out of vanilla so I used almond extract...still yummy!)
1 1/3 teaspoons nutmeg or cinnamon (I don't exactly measure this...I just add until it smells right.)
1/3 teaspoon salt
1 1/3 cups plus 2 2/3 Tbs milk
4 cups oatmeal (regular or quick)

Beat eggs well then add brown sugar, baking powder, vanilla, nutmeg or cinnamon and salt. Mix until no lumps then whisk in melted butter and all of the milk. Add oats stirring well. Refrigerate overnight.
Bake at 350 for 35 to 45 minutes or until set in the middle.
You can eat it as is or add milk. You can even top with fresh fruit. (Absolutely delicious with fresh blueberries!)

So, there you go...a yummy breakfast or brunch dish perfect for the fall weather we're having!

0 comments: