To live content with small means; to seek elegance rather than luxury, and refinement rather than fashion; to be worthy, not respectable, and wealthy, not, rich; to listen to stars and birds, babes and sages, with open heart; to study hard; to think quietly, act frankly, talk gently, await occasions, hurry never; in a word, to let the spiritual, unbidden and unconscious, grow up through the common--this is my symphony.
~William Henry Channing

Friday, September 24, 2010

Day Dreaming

I love home and hospitality. There isn't much I enjoy more than opening my home and having people over to eat and visit. And I am one happy camper when I can do said activity during the glorious small window of opportunity provided by Autumn that allows us Floridians to actually be outside without suffering heat stoke. Or wilting under sopping wet humidity.
I'm not sure about other women, but I like to day dream about all sorts of homey kind of things. The layout of the perfect kitchen. The ultimate master bath. Decorating, painting, rehabing something old into something new and quite wonderful. (Confession: I think it drives my beloved crazy that I can do this. Half of the things I see online or in magazines will never make it into our home...and I'm good with that. I think it might be the other half that concerns him the most. You know, the half that will spark an idea and a "Hey can we..." comment from me. :-)
Anyway, one of the things that I like to see how-to's of is the idea of an outdoor room. Not just the cozy porch with a swing but an outdoor space with a more room-esque feel to it. Something like this...

or this...

(Clicking on the image will take you to it's home/website and you can go here to see some amazing before and after photos of other outdoor rooms.)
Now obviously that first picture isn't gonna end up in my backyard anytime soon. But oh, the ideas! One day we hopefully will have a lovely and inviting outdoor room of our own design and making. And when this happens, I know exactly what kind of lighting I want. Check out this chandelier seen and photographed by wedding photographer extraordinaire Jonas Peterson at a California wedding back in August.
Sigh. What's not to love? It's mason jars with candles and you can put flowers on top.

Yep, this is going in the inspiration for one day folder.

0 comments: