To live content with small means; to seek elegance rather than luxury, and refinement rather than fashion; to be worthy, not respectable, and wealthy, not, rich; to listen to stars and birds, babes and sages, with open heart; to study hard; to think quietly, act frankly, talk gently, await occasions, hurry never; in a word, to let the spiritual, unbidden and unconscious, grow up through the common--this is my symphony.
~William Henry Channing

Saturday, August 21, 2010

What's In A Name?

All of my childhood I was called Marty. Until I reached the sixth grade. Then, because Marty rhymes with a word that we got our mouths washed out with soap if we used it, I went to Debbie. (To help clear up any confusion for you dear readers my full name is Deborah Marlene. Yes, I know my husband calls me Martha and it's not my name either but really it's just his way of saying 'darling' or 'dear' so it really kind of weirds me out when another man calls me that.) Anyway, everyone agreed to my name change except for my Father who declared he had helped bring me into this world and he'd call me whatever he wanted. Not a problem, because well, yea he had a point. It only became a tiny tiny issue when a woman from our church invited our family over for dinner and asked if the twins would be there. To which my Mother responded with all the confusion a non-twin bearing mother would have. The poor woman would hear my Dad call me Marty and everyone else in the family call me Debbie...she thought we were twins that just really didn't get along very well.

But, I digress. I just wanted to give you a little back story before I shared a recent conversation we've had with Sam.
Sam: "I'm embarrassed by a name with only one signal."
Us: "Huh?"
Sam: "Just Sam. I want you to call me by my full name."
Light dawns.
Us: "Oh, you mean a name with one syllable! You want us to call you Samuel?"
Samuel: "Yes!"
The name thing...I guess it sorta runs in the family.

2 comments:

Jessie said...

I love this. My family always called me Jessie until one day in kindergarten I came home and declared, "Mother, from now on you will call me Jessica." No clue what that was all about. She was shocked but went with it. In middle school I decided I liked Jessie again. But like you said it feels strange to have another man call you Martha... I hate it when unfamiliar people (especially men) call me Jess!

Anonymous said...

Ha ha! Looks like you'll have to change the name of this blog. "Samuel's Family" sounds quite distinguished!

BeckyJ