To live content with small means; to seek elegance rather than luxury, and refinement rather than fashion; to be worthy, not respectable, and wealthy, not, rich; to listen to stars and birds, babes and sages, with open heart; to study hard; to think quietly, act frankly, talk gently, await occasions, hurry never; in a word, to let the spiritual, unbidden and unconscious, grow up through the common--this is my symphony.
~William Henry Channing

Friday, August 27, 2010

School Is In!

Today was the first day of school. Everyone was so excited...Abby, could barely sleep last night.
Girls happy that school is back in session = a happy Momma.
Alarm going off at six am = a sad Momma.
I will admit that I do hate getting up so early. Not that I sleep late normally because my usual wake up time is six thirty or so, maybe seven-ish if I'm sleeping in. I think I just hate not being able to wake up on my own.
Ah, well. Such is life.
I got out of the shower and found two little lumps on the floor of my bedroom. Abby and Claire were both wide awake and it was barely 6:30. Emily hopped right out of bed which is so not her. Sarah of course just got up and went about her business as usual...driving the rest of us nuts because she is phobic about being late so every ten minutes or so we were getting time updates.
Here are a few snap shots from the morning. (And here is where I make my formal apology to my Mother for the b/w photos...fluorescent lighting stinks big time.)
In the tradition of classical education Sarah has a class known as the Traditio. Basically her first couple of hours each day will be spent sitting around on these nice leather couches reading and discussing art, literature and Bible. The ninth grade class will read through Job, Ecclesiastes, Proverbs and the Psalms. She'll also read Twain, Shakespeare, Hawthorne, Calvin, Lutherand a ton of other stuff. She's really excited about reading Shelley's Frankenstein as well as Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice.
Emily's class is in for a great time with a teacher new to our school this year. Ms. Hartke has all kinds of fun planned for them including a field trip to the Bowditch as they study astronomy and navigation in connection with early American history. They'll be studying the Gospels and reading Where the Red Fern Grows, The Hobbit (a book that I tried to read as an adult and couldn't finish :-/) and Tom Sawyer to name a few. Oh, and Ms. Hartke has been coming to our church and babysits for us too. Saaweet! (We love her!)
Abby started second grade. We've been blessed to know her teacher, Mrs. Stephens, outside of school for several years now. Actually we know and socialize with a lot of the girls teachers. That's kind of cool now that I think about it.
Where was I? Oh, yes...Abby. She'll be studying ancient Egypt. Yes! You know what that means? Egyptian Day...they dress up, eat really cool foods and make mummy masks and do hieroglyphics. I love Egyptian day :-) She'll also be reading fairy tales by Hans Christian Anderson and the Brothers Grimm. In Bible she'll be learning all about the Judges and David and Jonathan.
They also have all the regular stuff like Math and Science. One semester they'll do music and the other semester they will take art. Oh, and Sarah is doing photography with her art class. I am totally excited about that.
It's going to be a great year.
And Trinitas is a great school.

1 comments:

Lauren M. said...

Those are my girls. :)