To live content with small means; to seek elegance rather than luxury, and refinement rather than fashion; to be worthy, not respectable, and wealthy, not, rich; to listen to stars and birds, babes and sages, with open heart; to study hard; to think quietly, act frankly, talk gently, await occasions, hurry never; in a word, to let the spiritual, unbidden and unconscious, grow up through the common--this is my symphony.
~William Henry Channing

Monday, August 30, 2010

Changes

In the last several months I've been doing a lot of reading, studying of the Scriptures and having conversations centered around having a Biblical theology of children.

And things are changing for me. Beliefs that I've held to all my life are being examined in light of a deeper, dare I hope, more mature understanding of what the Bible says about children.
What's really funny to me is that few years ago I tried to read one book in particular on this subject and had to just put it down. I told Rob that I knew and understood the individual words, but couldn't make sense of the sentences that had been strung together. It was like reading Greek or something.
But, lately? Lately, I've picked up that very same book again and while it's not a bright "Aha!" light bulb going off moment...there has been new illumination. Things I couldn't see before are now at least in somewhat sharper focus...the ideas and concepts a little clearer.
I'm growing in my faith, and this part of the path looks a little different than the part I've traveled before...but it's just as beautiful. And it's good here.

Here's in interesting quote I read today...
Children learn far more unspoken theology than we tend to think. Suppose parents have operated with the doctrinal assumption that the kids might or might not turn out, who knows? Why should the children have any confidence about it? Unbelief is the constant, unspoken option. And one day, the option is spoken out loud. But it was always there, hidden away in the hearts of the parents, who always hoped for their childrens' faith, but never believed for it.
Something to think about as I go about cleaning and getting ready for our friends to arrive tomorrow night.

1 comments:

Mel said...

I've been thinking about this so often since we talked about it at our last dinner together. Like you said, it's not so much 'eye opening', but illuminating.
It had just never occured to me before, but now that there is a light on it I see it and am trying to shift to that thinking on a daily basis.