To live content with small means; to seek elegance rather than luxury, and refinement rather than fashion; to be worthy, not respectable, and wealthy, not, rich; to listen to stars and birds, babes and sages, with open heart; to study hard; to think quietly, act frankly, talk gently, await occasions, hurry never; in a word, to let the spiritual, unbidden and unconscious, grow up through the common--this is my symphony.
~William Henry Channing

Friday, July 16, 2010

Something Easy

In our house obedience is king. And not just any ole obedience but joyful obedience. And not just joyful obedience but immediate, joyful obedience. The standard is rather high but we believe that the Bible teaches that obedience should be done with unquestionable joy.

Obey right away,
all the way,
with a good attitude
everyday.
That's what we aim for...strive for...and expect from our children. From Sarah all the way down to Claire.
The sister to that kind of obedience is being responsible. When that kind of obedience is a first response...when it becomes who you are...then a certain level of responsibility and maturity is seen in you. And when that is seen consistently in you there are all kinds of privileges that become yours. A virtual treasure trove suited to each age and stage of the child. Sweetness
Well, our lovely Sarah Bella is reaching a new stage in her life. There are things that a fifteen year old (oh, that still makes my heart squeeze!) would like to do that requires a whole new level of responsibility. Things that literally can be life threatening.
Yes, I am talking about her driver's permit...learning to operate a motor vehicle.
This morning we were having a conversation about this and I reminded her of the level of obedience and responsibility that we need to see consistently in her life.
"Can't we do something easy like no smoking?"
I had to laugh because this kind of Biblical obedience is hard. Whether you are a fifteen year old girl or an almost forty year old woman (now that really squeezes my heart!) it takes diligence and humbleness. But God knows our frame...that we are weak and prone to wander from His truths. He cautions us against the easy way that leads to destruction and the blessing that comes from disciplining our minds and hearts in obedience even though it is difficult.
There are easier ways to raise our children I'm sure. Ones that wouldn't require so much from us. But I'm not interested...the promises of God are just too rich to settle for anything less. And you know what I'm finding? That it forces me to stay on my toes in my own life...to not get slack or lazy in my obedience.
Trust me...there are days when I want the easy.
But that, my dear readers, is another blog post.

1 comments:

Roni said...

Wow...you sure do make me think...
I require alot of my children...but I'm not sure I've ever expected joyful obedience. I sort of just assume the other. Maybe, because I struggle with it so much myself. Thought provoking. I love your blog more and more every day.