To live content with small means; to seek elegance rather than luxury, and refinement rather than fashion; to be worthy, not respectable, and wealthy, not, rich; to listen to stars and birds, babes and sages, with open heart; to study hard; to think quietly, act frankly, talk gently, await occasions, hurry never; in a word, to let the spiritual, unbidden and unconscious, grow up through the common--this is my symphony.
~William Henry Channing

Sunday, July 11, 2010

So Much to Say...

Wasn't that a line from a song? I'm pretty sure it was...probably from the 80's though so I don't really expect anyone to remember and say, "Yea! I remember that song!".

Remember a few weeks ago when I waxed poetic about how much I enjoy photography? Well, last week was crazy busy with lots of picture taking. And I mean lots of pictures. About 1200 between Wednesday and Saturday. A lovely family that I've worked with before came down to Florida for their vacation all the way from Oklahoma and had me take their daughter's senior pictures...and she brought a friend so we did a double session. Friday and Saturday I was blessed to be a part of a 50th Wedding Anniversary celebration. I took a family photo of the happy couple, their five children and spouse's, all fifteen grandchildren and one great grandchild. Can I just tell you that it was amazing to look through my viewfinder and see God's blessing on this family? It was simply beautiful.
My eyes literally hurt when I came home last night. But I'm thankful for God's provision for both of these jobs and the good they brought my family. I'm also really thankful that it isn't the norm for me...that I can do the occasional shoot but that it's not a business that runs my life. I like being home. No, I love being home. The rest is just gravy, to use an old southern phrase.
Sarah got a BB gun for her birthday. Yes, you read that correctly. A gun. There is a really funny story behind it so ask me about it one day and I'll tell you a tale about a hair straightener, a BB gun and one happy Daddy.
I got together with a friend a couple of weeks ago and we made some strawberry jam. This has been quite a summer for me so far...I fell in love with blueberry picking and I can't thing of anything more fun than making your own jam. I was giddy with delight when those pretty little jars of strawberry goodness were lined up in a row on the counter. And talk about delicious! I'm hoping we'll get in a good blueberry jam session soon. (But shhhh! Forget you read that because some of you may be getting some for Christmas :-)
You know the verse that says "I was glad when they said to me, “Let us go to the house of the Lord!”? I was glad today to be in the house of the Lord. It was a good day of worship. Our call to worship was from Psalm 63 and I really encourage you to read the whole chapter. It's only eleven verses so it'll only take you a minute and it's beautiful. These words...His words...beckoned my soul to rejoice...to praise...they called my heart and mind to worship...

O God, you are my God; earnestly I seek you;
my soul thirsts for you;
my flesh faints for you,
as in a dry and weary land where there is no water.
So I have looked upon you in the sanctuary,
beholding your power and glory.
Because your steadfast love is better than life,
my lips will praise you.
So I will bless you as long as I live;
in your name I will lift up my hands.

My soul will be satisfied as with fat and rich food,
and my mouth will praise you with joyful lips,
when I remember you upon my bed,
and meditate on you in the watches of the night;
for you have been my help,
and in the shadow of your wings I will sing for joy.
My soul clings to you;
your right hand upholds me.


I hope that your Sabbath has been joyful!

1 comments:

Roni said...

Marty, that was just the loveliest post. The passage at the end made me want to sing! Thank you for the lovely reminder of all God's blessings. I've been feeling that alot lately and it's so good to read you are doing the same.