To live content with small means; to seek elegance rather than luxury, and refinement rather than fashion; to be worthy, not respectable, and wealthy, not, rich; to listen to stars and birds, babes and sages, with open heart; to study hard; to think quietly, act frankly, talk gently, await occasions, hurry never; in a word, to let the spiritual, unbidden and unconscious, grow up through the common--this is my symphony.
~William Henry Channing

Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Sam's World

Kids on the Autism spectrum are usually very literal.

Very literal.
To see a cute baby and say some kind of southern thing such as, "Ooooh, you are so cute I just want to eat you up!" can cause all sorts of issues for an autistic child. (Trust me on this, okay?
:-)
Anyway, the other day the children were doing some chores and straightening up around the house and Sarah told Sam to hang up the towels they had used so they could dry. He wanted to know where and her response was on the shower.
Now, we all know that what she meant was across the shower curtain rod...what Sam understood though? Not the same thing.
picnikfile_cSCt-E
Hey, at least he did what she asked!

6 comments:

Kait said...

HAHAHA!!!! I laughed so hard! That is TOO funny!

Roni said...

It made me laugh too. lol I think I love Sam's world. :) Someone very dear to me is autistic and he lights up a room like no other...not to mention my heart.

Beverly said...

oh my. I am sure it is not always funny but this was so cute.

Marty said...

Living with autism does have difficult moments...but they are far outweighed by the joy he brings to our life.
To be honest, Sam's autism is mild compared to others but...I think the reason we deal with it easier than most is that we look at it as a gift...not a drawback or a deficiency.

WunderMom said...

Sam is definitely a gift, to be sure. Can anyone *not* love him? Impossible.

Lauren M. said...

I love Sam. :)