To live content with small means; to seek elegance rather than luxury, and refinement rather than fashion; to be worthy, not respectable, and wealthy, not, rich; to listen to stars and birds, babes and sages, with open heart; to study hard; to think quietly, act frankly, talk gently, await occasions, hurry never; in a word, to let the spiritual, unbidden and unconscious, grow up through the common--this is my symphony.
~William Henry Channing

Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Inspiration

Inspiration: the action or power of moving the intellect or emotions.

synonyms: spur, motivation, stimulation, encouragement

Many things and people inspire me in many different ways.
Church and worship...now we don't usually like to use the word inspiration connected to church, do we? I think that's probably because society has kind of taken over the word and it's true meaning has been lost in caricatures of Hallmark cards and some kind of hippie starving artist. But, in the Greek inspiration is literally God breathed...it's what we read in 2 Timothy 3:16-17...all Scripture is breathed out by God...why? So that we may be equipped for every good work. Church and worship should inspire us...encourage and motivate us to good works. A sweet friend inspired me yesterday. I opened her email to find a simple little verse that encouraged me to pursue obedience.
The way my husband loves me inspires me to be a better helpmeet to him. (Haha...I use Microsoft Word program to look up words and next to helpmeet it says (archaic)...that amused me for some reason.)
My children, and the knowledge that they are eternal beings, motivates me in my parenting.
My friends and I spur one another on, I hope.
Things I read...books, blogs, articles...they inspire me. Photographs inspire me to capture more memories with my camera...looking at some of the food photography out there really stimulates a desire in me to be a better cook. Music, crafting, decorating, organizing, sewing, recipes, couponing, volunteering...the list goes on and on.
We should live a life that is inspired...because we are what He created. And He created us with a purpose.
Live a true, inspired life today.

3 comments:

Roni said...

For me, even the rocks (and flowers and trees and plants and dirt and...lol) inspire me and remind me of God's presence. Often, far more than I find when I'm sitting within 4 walls and a roof, with a steeple on top of it. He gave us church all around us, but so often, no one is listening. Beautiful post, Marty. I love your heart...

Lauren M. said...

I made your blog again! You know that tickles me. Hehe. You do spur me on- just so you know. Love you!

Marty said...

Thanks Roni! Hebrews 10:25 reminds us to not neglect gathering together as the Church so it's important to be part of a church family. But we can be thankful that in the book of Romans Paul tells us that 'things made' reveal God's eternal power and divine nature...we can see God and worship Him anywhere. (And your lovely photographs inspire a lot of wonder of God's beauty!)
Awww, Lauren Loo...now I feel pressure :-) Just kidding...I'm pretty sure we spur each other on.