To live content with small means; to seek elegance rather than luxury, and refinement rather than fashion; to be worthy, not respectable, and wealthy, not, rich; to listen to stars and birds, babes and sages, with open heart; to study hard; to think quietly, act frankly, talk gently, await occasions, hurry never; in a word, to let the spiritual, unbidden and unconscious, grow up through the common--this is my symphony.
~William Henry Channing

Friday, June 25, 2010

Milestones

You know that we have five children. The youngest of course was a surprise to us as we thought we were done at four so for almost five years Abby was the baby. She still gets lumped in with Claire as the 'young ones' but I didn't realize exactly how much I was doing that.
Until today.
Until, for the very first time ever, I had the child draw her own bath water.
That's right. She will be eight in the Fall and I still have one of her big sisters run her bath for her every night.


I am sure there are many and varied spiritual connotations to be drawn here about letting our children grow and how we sometimes miss that.
But for now I'm just going to sit here and feel the weight of all the times I've made fun of my Mom because until my little sister was in the second grade we brushed her teeth and tied her shoes.

And just because the two 'young ones' are so stinkin' cute:


0 comments: