To live content with small means; to seek elegance rather than luxury, and refinement rather than fashion; to be worthy, not respectable, and wealthy, not, rich; to listen to stars and birds, babes and sages, with open heart; to study hard; to think quietly, act frankly, talk gently, await occasions, hurry never; in a word, to let the spiritual, unbidden and unconscious, grow up through the common--this is my symphony.
~William Henry Channing

Monday, May 24, 2010

Miscellaneous Monday

If blogs had emotions this one would be feeling neglected and unloved. I wish I felt worse about it but truth be told I don't really know how much this little cyber journal contributes to the well being of humanity...it's more a place where I just unload thoughts simple or complex, just because. If you're reading it, I thank you and I hope you find something that amuses you or adds beauty to your world or makes you think of great and wonderful things. It's funny because I go through periods where I want to write witty and delightful things about my family's life because it is so delightful (to me)...then periods where I'm thinking out loud about all this ponderous stuff that goes on in my brain because of conversations I'm having or things I'm reading and life that I'm experiencing but the time gets swallowed up by mountains of laundry and end of the year projects and events and suddenly there's nothing to connect those thoughts to and they're just out there. Other times I really just want to put something up for you to go read or look at just because it speaks to me and I want to let it echo into your world.

Life is sweet if a little harried right now. I read this and was just wowed somewhere inside...do yourself a favor and take the few minutes to read it. Why do we leave all the magic and epic-ness for Hollywood and movies? His love for His creation is magical and our redemption is epic. Seriously, go read it.
Pictures. My, oh my have I been taking pictures. Seniors and couples...it's that time of year. I'm trying new stuff...tweaking and developing a style of sorts. I'm good with what's happening but I'm sure, (I hope) that in a year I will look back and cringe a tinsy bit because it's so unrefined. Kind of like when I look at my first use of textures...shudder...but then I was so proud to be trying it out. I have this love affair with a polaroid-ish, cross processing thing. We'll see what comes of it. Last week when I did J&A engagement pictures we found a piece of vandalism that suited us well...
_MG_9653
How cute are they?
_MG_9660 b
It was so sweet doing their pictures...he just has this way of looking at her that makes you sigh...and she just soaks it in.
_MG_0030 a
A favorite from a senior session a few weeks ago...
I'm still playing around with the reverse lens macro thing too...it really is cool. I loved how the petal shifted into focus out of a cloud a billowy soft white.
picnikfile_c1fqaS
Okay, enough photos...although last week's 52 weeks is up. What else? I am looking forward to a few special plans this week. Including some time spent with Doug and Nancy Wilson who will be in town for our graduation this Thursday. The girls will have their honor and awards ceremony that morning...Abby worked pretty hard to clock her 600 minutes each week to get an award for her reading calendars. The girls have finished Latin translations, final exams and all manner of stuff. Sarah is ending the year with a well earned 4.0 and Emily is happy to be heading to the 5th grade class. It means a new Friday uniform...one like her big sister's. Sam had his evaluation last week and is moving into the third grade and Claire is just skipping right along making her presence known.
Rob? Oh, my sweet man. Do you know what I found in my van this morning? A sweet smelling gardenia that he picked for me last night after he put gas in that same van so I wouldn't have to this morning. Did I mention it was about 11:30 pm when he did that? That man loves me.

0 comments: