To live content with small means; to seek elegance rather than luxury, and refinement rather than fashion; to be worthy, not respectable, and wealthy, not, rich; to listen to stars and birds, babes and sages, with open heart; to study hard; to think quietly, act frankly, talk gently, await occasions, hurry never; in a word, to let the spiritual, unbidden and unconscious, grow up through the common--this is my symphony.
~William Henry Channing

Sunday, May 9, 2010

I Want to be a Lois

What did you want for Mother's Day this year? If you spent any time looking at cards in your local Walmart or Target it would seem that what moms want most is a little time for ourselves and some pampering because we 'deserve' it. Don't get me wrong. There are days where fifteen minutes of quiet has a value equal to a bar of gold. And a little pampering never hurt anybody. But the tone of this message...the 'I deserve it' attitude makes me cringe. We should want something more I think. Something bigger than a manicure/pedicure. Something more eternal than a few hours of alone time.
This is what I want for Mother's Day...
I am reminded of your sincere faith, a faith that dwelt first in your grandmother Lois and your mother Eunice and now, I am sure, dwells in you as well. 2 Timothy 1:5
I want to live my faith in front of my kids in such a way that it impacts their lives forever. I want to watch them grow in their faith and love for God. How amazing a gift would that be? To one day be old and gray and hear someone say to your children and their children..."I see how you live...your faith and service to God. And it's what I saw in your Mother and her Mother."
I'm afraid that in our consumerist society we have attached a material concept to a spiritual thanksgiving...
Her children rise up and call her blessed;
her husband also, and he praises her: Proverbs 31:28
By all means, spoil your Mother today! And I hope that if you are a mom that your family will let you know how much they love and appreciate all that you do for them. But don't settle for that. Be a Eunice and a Lois. Don't just feed your family, or clean house and do their laundry. Seek to shape their souls. Nourish them on the Bread of Life. Teach them to keep their minds and hearts in order. To be diligent in dealing with their sin. Be an example in word and deed of someone who loves the Lord God with all their heart, and soul, and mind, and strength.
I have five reasons to want to be this. Four beautiful girls that I want to grow up loving God whole heartily so that they will be a Eunice and Lois kind of mother and a boy that I want to one day find a wife that will be that kind of mother to his children. The challenge is huge...but God has provided a way. And when each generation joins together to make this a reality it gets easier...it gives a foundation for the next to stand upon.

1 comments:

Killlashandra said...

Yeah 15 minutes of time to myself would sure be nice on Mother's Day but spending time with the family is better. :) Hope you had a good day too.