To live content with small means; to seek elegance rather than luxury, and refinement rather than fashion; to be worthy, not respectable, and wealthy, not, rich; to listen to stars and birds, babes and sages, with open heart; to study hard; to think quietly, act frankly, talk gently, await occasions, hurry never; in a word, to let the spiritual, unbidden and unconscious, grow up through the common--this is my symphony.
~William Henry Channing

Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Things I Love

Have you ever been in a bad mood and committed to it? For no good reason? Not angry, just sort of cranky and disgusted with yourself and the whole human race? Seeing your own junk so clearly as well as everyone else's? To the point that you wonder what God was ever thinking? A real Ecclesiastical-all-is-vanity kind of mood?
Well, that is where I was Sunday afternoon. I'm sure missing church didn't help my perspective at all either. Sometimes things just get all tangled...some threads of life are good and sweet...and mixed up in them are the circumstances that don't seem so good and sweet. And unfortunately we can get in such a place that all we end up seeing is the knotty mass that is life. And the truth is, even those threads in our lives that are dark and don't feel so good and sweet...are there to accomplish His good and perfect will in our lives. He is good and He does good.
So sometimes we need to slow down and tug on those threads that clearly show us His goodness. We need to look at the hundreds of simple ways that life is good even when there is hard stuff for us to deal with.
Thankfully on Sunday night Rob was there to make me laugh and get over myself. We even poked fun at the hard things in our life. On Monday I decided to look for the little things...the things that show joy and love and goodness.
Tiny treasures given by little hands that have been playing in the dirt...
Claire's wild hair. Those bouncy out of control curls make me smile.

A sweet friend that takes time out of her busy schedule to tutor Sam. A friend that encourages me to aim at a goal even though it will be work to reach it.

The chatter of the girls when they get home from school and all want to tell me about their day at the same time.

Chalk drawings. I love seeing the colorful art all over our fence and patio. It's such a carefree childish thing.

Tuna fish sandwiches.

Warm chocolate chip cookies.

Warm chocolate chip cookies eaten while I'm snuggled in the bed beside the man who shelters me with his heart.

This picture...I love it.

Sticky love notes left on bedroom doors for everyone...
And finally, this Bible verse from chapter one of James;
Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

3 comments:

Tia said...

Thank you for the link to "Dreams". I saw I had hits from your blog to my flickr and could not figure it out. LOL. Thank you. So sweet. :-)

marty said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
marty said...

My pleasure Tia! I just love that photograph!