To live content with small means; to seek elegance rather than luxury, and refinement rather than fashion; to be worthy, not respectable, and wealthy, not, rich; to listen to stars and birds, babes and sages, with open heart; to study hard; to think quietly, act frankly, talk gently, await occasions, hurry never; in a word, to let the spiritual, unbidden and unconscious, grow up through the common--this is my symphony.
~William Henry Channing

Thursday, March 11, 2010

Food for Thought

Yep, I'm back again...I'm on some kind of blog posting roll...and I've got fresh linens on my bed...and I baked three dozen cookies from scratch...and made two dozen chocolate dipped pretzels (see previous post :-)...and started a book a friend asked me to read...and skipped happily along through some of my favorite blogs to find this by Douglas Wilson..

The commandment is to love the Lord our God with all our minds, all our hearts, all our strength, and all our souls. The commandment is not, please note, to love our minds with all our hearts, or to love our hearts with all our minds. Neither one is in charge of the other one, and Christ is Lord over both...In other words, obedience to Scripture, in whatever realm we are in, is the way to get in sync with whatever aspect of your person we are talking about. Offer your soul to God, and you will discover you have one. Be transformed by the renewing of your mind, and your mind will clear right up. Present your body a living sacrifice, and the Lord will give you back an integrated whole.

0 comments: