To live content with small means; to seek elegance rather than luxury, and refinement rather than fashion; to be worthy, not respectable, and wealthy, not, rich; to listen to stars and birds, babes and sages, with open heart; to study hard; to think quietly, act frankly, talk gently, await occasions, hurry never; in a word, to let the spiritual, unbidden and unconscious, grow up through the common--this is my symphony.
~William Henry Channing

Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Bits and Pieces (Warning: Possible Photo Overload)

I finally did it! At the prompting of my friend Lauren we actually made our own laundry detergent. I've been wanting to do it for a while but for some reason just hesitated at doing it on my own. It really is super easy to make, my wash is as clean as ever and at a penny a load it is a very thrifty way to go. One batch should last our two families for six months or so.
Our friends, the Goodson's (recently returned from Spain), came and spent the weekend with us. Rob and Charlie were ordained as elders at Harmony Ridge at the same time. We're so happy their family is back and close enough to visit regularly! When they left Claire was a newborn so looking at this picture was sort of mindblowing.

On Saturday night a few more friends joined us for Hurricane Ribs and a round of Phase Ten. (What's hurricane ribs you ask? Well the Goodson home was the house to ride out hurricanes...and somehow a tradition developed of eating ribs standing around the kitchen.)


They even brought their dog. I know! A dog. But Divinci is not your ordianary dog...he's awesome. The kids loved having him around and this unfortunately has fanned the flame of them wanting a pet. Sadly, the Goodson's saw right through our planned distraction so one of the kids could sneak him out of the car.



I went to a blog party over at Femina...I've spent a minute or two roaming cyberspace and I've been encouraged reading the thoughts of others sharing what God is doing in their lives. For those of you who aren't familiar with Femina, it's the blog hosted by Nancy Wilson and various members of her family. I highly recommend it to Christian woman of all ages. They get into some great discussions in the comment section so plan to visit with a cup of coffee or tea and stay a while.

Now I really must go clean up my kitchen. It is Teacher Appreciation week and I baked three loaves of bread (nobody get excited...they weren't from scratch but still rather tasty :-) and four dozen muffins. It is a small thing to do for the best teachers at the best Christian school in Northwest Florida.
Have a wonderful day, friends!

4 comments:

Melissa Joy said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog to say hello! And yes, I'd love for you to pass along my joyfuldomesticity site to your friend. If I can be of any encouragement to her, please tell her to send me a message. :)
The Lord bless and keep you and your beautiful family.

MrsAlbrecht said...

I love your blog! Thankful for Femina's blog party :D

What a beautiful family you have.

May the Lord bless you and yours in 2010!

Much love from Japan,

SJA

gina said...

thanks for visiting today! i recently started making my own laundry detergent as well and i love it. i noticed also that a stain on my son's pants that i had all but given up on is no longer there...what a bonus! thanks also for your sympathies about the noisy toy. you sound as if you are speaking from experience...

bean said...

Hi, Marty! Your blog looks super fun - I'll be poking around. :)