To live content with small means; to seek elegance rather than luxury, and refinement rather than fashion; to be worthy, not respectable, and wealthy, not, rich; to listen to stars and birds, babes and sages, with open heart; to study hard; to think quietly, act frankly, talk gently, await occasions, hurry never; in a word, to let the spiritual, unbidden and unconscious, grow up through the common--this is my symphony.
~William Henry Channing

Sunday, February 7, 2010

Whenever I have to fill out paper work that involves listing the children's birthdays I laugh a little.

7-6-95
2-10-00
3-19-01
4-17-02
11-8-06
Almost five years between the first two...then pregnant three years in a row...then almost five years before the last. And yes, those middle years are slightly hazy but I am delighted that they were so close together. I wouldn't change it even if I could. (What I would change is people's various reactions. Why do people think it is funny to ask if we know what causes babies? Or my personal favorite...one guy actually told Rob he should get a hobby or something.)
Why am I telling you this? Because of this week's issue of People magazine. It's a lovely photo of Mr. and Mrs. Duggar with their sweet little preemie daughter, Josie. The headline? 'How Many Kids Are Too Many?'
Seriously? I've never seen an episode of their show and to be honest I probably wouldn't watch it. (It's a personal thing...I don't think reality series as a whole are good...and I'm uncomfortable with the concept of letting someone's life be my entertainment fodder. Not to mention that there is something odd to me about not having a television in your home but your entire life is a tv series...but I suppose that is another post.)
I guess I'm just seeing a family make a decision that they can take responsibility for and the critics are blasting them for it. The government isn't being asked to foot the bill and their children all seem to be healthy and well cared for. So why is it anybody's business?
And in the back of my head I have one word floating round and round...

0 comments: