To live content with small means; to seek elegance rather than luxury, and refinement rather than fashion; to be worthy, not respectable, and wealthy, not, rich; to listen to stars and birds, babes and sages, with open heart; to study hard; to think quietly, act frankly, talk gently, await occasions, hurry never; in a word, to let the spiritual, unbidden and unconscious, grow up through the common--this is my symphony.
~William Henry Channing

Friday, February 5, 2010

Reposting

Kelly is a fabulous photographer and an amazing, painfully honest writer. (She's on the blogroll to your left) Every couple of weeks she will repost something she has already posted on her blog that is particularly special or meaningful. And she has invited her readers to do the same so here is an earlier post from last year...the lesson still relevant.

It was 6:45am. She hates unloading the dishwasher anytime of day but she was doing it. Loudly. After a particularly rowdy session of removing bowls I said something to her about the noise. Her point was she wasn't being loud on purpose...my point was that she wasn't trying to be quiet either. We take virtuous refuge in the things that we didn't intend. We are not accountable for those consequences which we did not intend to happen.
But here's the thing... Nothing. Is. Neutral.
"Let the thief no longer steal, but rather let him labor, doing honest work with his own hands, so that he may have something to share with anyone in need."
Paul is saying that it isn't enough to just not steal anymore...now you must labor honestly...for the purpose of having something to share.
It isn't enough to not intend harm...for every action or thought that we don't intend we must be clear that we are seeking the opposite.
I didn't intend to be rude. But was I seeking kindness?
I didn't intend to be disrespectful. But was I seeking to show respect?
I didn't intend to tear down. But was I seeking to build up?
I didn't intend to hurt you. But was I seeking the best for you?
I didn't intend to be hurt by you. But was I seeking to be longsuffering?
Sometimes it isn't enough to not intend the wrong thing. We have to pursue the right thing. We must be aware of what we don't want to happen as a consequence of something we do so that we are very intentional in what we do want to happen.
Quick to love...slow to speak...submitting to one another out of reverence for Christ.
We are intentional because He was intentional.

2 comments:

Kelly Langner Sauer said...

Wow, a really good post. I love how concise you are, yet how much truth you packed in here. Thanks for posting it at my blog today - and for the link back!

Mel said...

This was a great post - glad you reposted it!