To live content with small means; to seek elegance rather than luxury, and refinement rather than fashion; to be worthy, not respectable, and wealthy, not, rich; to listen to stars and birds, babes and sages, with open heart; to study hard; to think quietly, act frankly, talk gently, await occasions, hurry never; in a word, to let the spiritual, unbidden and unconscious, grow up through the common--this is my symphony.
~William Henry Channing

Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Randomness

I have a cold. Actually, I have the worst head cold ever. My eyeballs burn, my nose is sore, and brushing my teeth is so loud I almost wish I could just swish with some Scope and be done with it. (Don't worry, I didn't give into it...I endured the noise :-)

*****************************************************

Riding in the car and Claire pipes up:

"Mom, I want to give Jesus a gift! Can you find me a caterpiller that I can wrap up?"

******************************************************
Remember this conversation Rob and Sam had? Well, that was just the beginning of his fascination with grave yards. He wants to go walk through one and when the weather is better suited for that kind of thing we don't have any problem taking him. Maybe we'll do some rubbings or look for the oldest grave or something. Today, he wanted to talk about going and I thought it might be a good idea to prepare him so I told him there are a few rules that he needs to learn before we go.
1.) You do not walk on the graves. It's disrespectful so you walk between them.
2.) You don't run and play as if it's a regular park or something.
Now, I'm kinda sure I've covered what is important for him to know but Sam being Sam said he was thinking of a third rule...
3.) You do not unbury the dead people.
Well, yea I guess that is sort of the number one rule for visiting a cemetery.

**********************************************************
The last two days of RC Sproul's Renewing Your Mind have been very helpful. Each one is maybe only twenty to twenty five minutes long but well worth the quiet time. Grab a load of laundry to fold or something and listen. I promise you will be blessed by the messages.

**********************************************************
Or if you have time check out Solstice Letters. Be sure to grab a cup of coffee or tea and visit the links found under Behind the Lens . You may also want to visit her other blog and take a stroll through The Regulars.

**********************************************************
I've shared how I'm reading Psalm 119 in part each day and when I'm finished I start over and do it again. It has been amazing the change wrought in my heart and the love and longing for His word that it stirs up. I think I'm starting my fourth or fifth round. Anyway, this is the part I read this morning and it has been my prayer today...
1 Blessed are those whose way is blameless,who walk in the law of the Lord!
2 Blessed are those who keep his testimonies,who seek him with their whole heart,
3 who also do no wrong,but walk in his ways!
4 You have commanded your precepts to be kept diligently.
5 Oh that my ways may be steadfast in keeping your statutes!
6 Then I shall not be put to shame,having my eyes fixed on all your commandments.
7 I will praise you with an upright heart,when I learn your righteous rules.
8 I will keep your statutes;do not utterly forsake me!

2 comments:

Ed said...

This is all really good stuff! Especially the part about not neglecting to brush your teeth :) And I always love a good "Sam story".

Mel said...

Oh my. You really know how to draw a laugh. Or, is it your kids...