To live content with small means; to seek elegance rather than luxury, and refinement rather than fashion; to be worthy, not respectable, and wealthy, not, rich; to listen to stars and birds, babes and sages, with open heart; to study hard; to think quietly, act frankly, talk gently, await occasions, hurry never; in a word, to let the spiritual, unbidden and unconscious, grow up through the common--this is my symphony.
~William Henry Channing

Wednesday, February 3, 2010

If you have known me for any length of time you know that I love fresh flowers in the house. In my opinion they are a simple thing that can make a home more beautiful and welcoming. And really not that expensive...maybe five to eight dollars a week.

Lately, with all of our budget refining I decided to see if I could cut that expense. I knew it would be hard but several things happened to make this easier for me. December came and with all the Christmas decorations I didn't need them. Plus, we had moved further away from Winn Dixie which actually has better flowers and prices than Walmart. I find it hard to pay $5 when I'm not really that excited about the bouquet. (Except with the tulips...they are just flat out glorious and even Walmart cannot bugger them up.)
I say all that to make this point. The challenge to still add that little pop to our home has been a blast. It really has forced me to be more creative in my thinking and to use things readily available in my own backyard or from that not so secret stash of stuff in the garage. (You would not believe the number of vases and votive holders one woman can collect.) The internet is also a great source for inspiration and ideas. There are some seriously artistic people out there. This a double edge sword though so be careful how you wield it...you can by turns be utterly inspired or in utter despair because everyone else in the whole entire world can come up with the neatest, coolest, cutest way to do things.
I chose to be inspired when I came across this little dot tree thingy last month. I'm not really sure how to explain it, and for the life of me I cannot find the blog that it came from, but the picture stayed in my head and I've been tweaking it to suit my own whimsy the last week or two. On Monday I went to Hobby Lobby and got some pretty Valentine paper. Yesterday, I stopped on the side of the road coming into our neighborhood and lopped off a branch that I thought would work for this project. This morning Claire, Sam and I made the new center piece for the top of our piano. We're pretty tickled with how it turned out although, I am well aware that a tree branch with swinging paper hearts isn't for everyone. And it does look slightly Charlie Brown Christmas tree-ish but I think that adds to it's charm.

0 comments: