To live content with small means; to seek elegance rather than luxury, and refinement rather than fashion; to be worthy, not respectable, and wealthy, not, rich; to listen to stars and birds, babes and sages, with open heart; to study hard; to think quietly, act frankly, talk gently, await occasions, hurry never; in a word, to let the spiritual, unbidden and unconscious, grow up through the common--this is my symphony.
~William Henry Channing

Thursday, February 4, 2010

Can I Get a Witness?

I hate Walmart. They tried to burst my coupon-using-money-saving balloon this morning. (Seriously, it put me in a rather foul mood. Rob laughed at me a bit because I was so bothered but he is all for me continuing in my holy hatred of Wally World if it means we don't go there hardly at all ever again for the rest of our natural lives.) I will say for the record that my cashier was super, especially when I went back through my bags and removed items for her to void because their system locked out my coupons. Coupons, I might add that I used in the very same store last week. The very same kind of coupons that I had used just that morning at Publix and Winn Dixie. Their whole system and policies have changed and let me tell you it isn't for the better. I seriously could not use a manufacture's coupon because it didn't specify what size box of cereal. Even though it said $1 off any one box of Cheerios. Grrr. What really got me was the unapologetic, just deal with it attitude from the CSM. My whole beef with Wally World is that they really just don't care about the customer. It contrasted sharply with my earlier shopping experience at both Publix and Winn Dixie. At both stores the workers were helpful and personable. They want my business and it shows. Needless to say they will be getting just about all of it from here on out.

I reached a longed for first today in my coupon best deals shopping. I saved more than I spent at both stores. At Winn Dixie, where I got my meat along with other deals, I bought $108 worth on groceries for $50.89. Yep, I saved $57.11! I was positively giddy! Cereal for $1.25 a box...Little Debbie snack cakes for a dollar each...I also did a little freezer stock piling by taking advantage of the BOGO offers on chicken and pork tenderloins. As a bonus, I received $10 worth of Box Tops for the girls school when they printed my receipt.
I scored at Publix again this week on Juicy Juice, this time with the juice boxes. BOGO makes them $1.50 each eight pack...coupled with a coupon for 50 cents off so $1 a pack. Great deals on a family favorite (bacon), yogurt, and Velveeta (which is perfect to make mac-n-cheese for Sam) and a few others specials and I spent $26.27 and saved $40.77.
All in all, I think I'm getting better each week. My total grocery bill hasn't come down all that much but I have more food...which translates to money saved in the future because I won't be buying as much two weeks from now due to over flow and stock piles. I think this is a good thing. My goal was to save more than I spent...and now it is to slowly chip away from what is spent period.
After that, who knows? Maybe I'll conquer CVS :-)

2 comments:

Mel said...

I just looked it up and Walmart has NOT changed their coupon policy. I would contact their corporate office if I were you.

1-800-walmart

I have very good experience with calling corporate offices. Once I was given a $20 gift card for my trouble. I just stated the facts, was extremely nice, and always said something good about my experience before going into the problem.

Hope that helps! And I pray your family is feeling better...

Jessie said...

I have been refusing to shop at WalMart since the Target was built in Pace. With the addition of Publix, all my needs are met! My husband worked for Sam's Club in college and I can tell you the company as a whole doesn't care about their employees at all... only the bottom line. I'll gladly pay a couple more dollars per shopping trip to stay away from them.