To live content with small means; to seek elegance rather than luxury, and refinement rather than fashion; to be worthy, not respectable, and wealthy, not, rich; to listen to stars and birds, babes and sages, with open heart; to study hard; to think quietly, act frankly, talk gently, await occasions, hurry never; in a word, to let the spiritual, unbidden and unconscious, grow up through the common--this is my symphony.
~William Henry Channing

Friday, January 29, 2010

Over the last few months my girlfriends and I have coined a catch phrase.

'I don't know. I just don't know.', we'd mutter to each other as we'd make our way through rough waters.
Trying to understand circumstances, people and our own hearts, then we'd fall silent for a moment and shaking our heads we'd sigh and utter the phrase which promptly made us giggle for some reason. I'm pretty sure we're gonna have t-shirts made.
Last night I learned something though. My response to turmoil and receiving a blessing is pretty much the same. Rob came home from class with some really stellar news, (I'll share about that in a minute), and I was so undone by God's blessing that my response was virtually the same.
I don't know.
Let me make it clear that I affirm completely that all things come from the hand of God. Even the hard, difficult things. And He is good in the midst of that just as He is good in the midst of the blessing. So in our life He was just as good last week while we struggled to keep our focus and mind on counting it all joy as He is when easing the burden.
I'm just amazed by Him. His faithfulness during trials...the comfort of His presence by His Word sustaining us while the world goes crazy. And then His provision coming in such a way as to be more than we asked or hoped for.
I just don't know. I feel exhilarated and humbled at the same time. Which made me wonder if our understanding of humble is skewed. In our society humility is degrading and negative. And, as is the case most of the time, Scripture teaches something all together different. Even if it is taught opposite of the world's view, very rarely is it seen through a Biblical lens.
Humility is to be sought.
Humility comes before honor.
Humility is a reward.
I wonder how Wisdom and humility are connected? I'm thinking they are closely intertwined.

So, now on with our news. Rob is going to get us a van today! It's a 98 Toyota Sienna and it currently resides in Mississippi but after a transaction involving cash and Rob's truck it will be ours! We'll be a one vehicle family but we're so good with that. The really awesome thing is that God has worked all these things to come together in such a way that another debt will also be retired. Yea!

I know this is getting to be a lengthy post but I wanted to share one more thing.
I went grocery shopping last night. It was not a big week for deals at Publix but I did take advantage of the BOGO offer on Juicy Juice. I printed two $1 off coupons and paid $1.40 something for each bottle. My best deals were found at Winn Dixie even though I didn't have coupons. They run a pretty good BOGO on their meat and I took advantage of a chicken deal so now I've started other stockpile :-) I finished up at the dreaded Walmart but still, all together I saved a grand total of $52.22 on my groceries this week. I still haven't gotten down to under $100 but I'm working my way there. I can see the need to clip and hold onto coupons so that when the sale hits you're ready.
The funniest thing to me? I cannot wait for the paper to come out on Sunday.
Oh, and Spider Man and Cinderella had breakfast at my house.

0 comments: