To live content with small means; to seek elegance rather than luxury, and refinement rather than fashion; to be worthy, not respectable, and wealthy, not, rich; to listen to stars and birds, babes and sages, with open heart; to study hard; to think quietly, act frankly, talk gently, await occasions, hurry never; in a word, to let the spiritual, unbidden and unconscious, grow up through the common--this is my symphony.
~William Henry Channing

Sunday, January 17, 2010

Our Sabbath meal yesterday was a little atypical. Normally, the meal is large with a meat and a bunch of side dishes...a feast. But with all the rain yesterday and with all the turmoil seeming to settle down I opted for something simpler. A yummy bowl of chicken and dumplings, broccoli, cheese & crackers and my favorite...Rob made some cream cheese stuffed wrapped in bacon peppers. Oh, how I love those things!
Working to be more frugal in our finances, I'm trying to not buy flowers each week. However,I did splurge and buy these beautiful tulips to set a bright and cheerful table. All together it was a very comforting, albeit simple, celebration.
And just to make sure I don't sound whiny about the flowers...I'm really enjoying the challenge of using stuff from my own backyard to add beauty to our home. (I have what I think is a really cool idea bubbling in my brain right now that I hope to have pictures of in a few weeks.) But this is a photo of what is currently on my piano...or rather a partial shot of what's on my piano...

A funny Sam story...
For those of you who have never been in our church before, the baptismal is in the back. So whenever there is a baptism like there was today, we all just turn and gather in the back of the room. This morning when we turned around, Sam saw Rob in the white robe he wears for such an occasion.
In a loud whisper:
"Mom! Dad has disguised himself as Jesus!"

Not as funny, but still a blessing, we also installed two deacons and had three families and a sweet friend officially join our congregation.
In his sermon Rob mentioned that the word death in the Greek literally means "to set free from". That put a whole new perspective on dying to self for me. When we are talking about what it means to die to self we're literally asking God to set us free from ourselves. How mind blowing is that? At least it is to my mind :-)

Okay, one last picture from the cherries this past week...
We'll see what the new week has in store...

2 comments:

Mel said...

Sam is so funny! And I love what you have on your piano. Very elegant. What's in the vases?

Ed said...

Well, if you have to impersonate somebody, Jesus isn't a bad choice. Sam is a funny young man!