To live content with small means; to seek elegance rather than luxury, and refinement rather than fashion; to be worthy, not respectable, and wealthy, not, rich; to listen to stars and birds, babes and sages, with open heart; to study hard; to think quietly, act frankly, talk gently, await occasions, hurry never; in a word, to let the spiritual, unbidden and unconscious, grow up through the common--this is my symphony.
~William Henry Channing

Thursday, January 21, 2010

Birthday Goodness

I turned 39 this week. Yep, one year away from being the big four oh.

Actually, three hundred sixty three days away from the big four oh.
Not that I have a problem with turning forty or anything mind you. I think the bigger issue for me is the lead up. You know, "39! Wow, that is really close...to...like 40."
What is it with that number anyway? Because, from what I can gather, next year my body is just going to fall apart practically overnight.
I guess I'll just have to wait and see but for now, let me share with you some of my birthday goodness.
First off, the actual day was horrible. I have never, ever, ever been so sick in my life. I literally spent the day in bed semi conscious. It was the same twenty four hour bug that had already taken out all other six members of my family. Only as a birthday bonus my bout with the sickening beast lasted closer to thirty six hours. I'm sure that if this fiendish illness strikes next year after my fortieth birthday I am doomed.
However, there were phone calls from various family members and friends with well wishes which was sweet. And then last night at community group, Sarah brought this oh, so yummy giant cupcake for us. Trust me the photo here does not do it justice...but I felt a little weird asking everyone to just carry on while I set up a photo op so this little quickie snapshot will have to suffice.
I also received two lovely handmade cards...beautiful aren't they?
While I'm listing on the good things from this week...my friend Donna made this beautiful hat for me to use in photos...so lovely isn't it? The girls were quite happy to model it for me.
All in all it was a fine birthday. And I guess I'd better live it up this year...you know, before I hit the big four oh.
PS
I have no idea why the font is wacky through out this post...whatever.

0 comments: