To live content with small means; to seek elegance rather than luxury, and refinement rather than fashion; to be worthy, not respectable, and wealthy, not, rich; to listen to stars and birds, babes and sages, with open heart; to study hard; to think quietly, act frankly, talk gently, await occasions, hurry never; in a word, to let the spiritual, unbidden and unconscious, grow up through the common--this is my symphony.
~William Henry Channing

Monday, December 14, 2009

Somebody please tell me why a three year old needs to know what time it is?
Every.
Two.
Minutes.
Leave it to Claire to not ask the usual, 'Are we there yet?' while we were traveling this weekend.
Of course, we were making good time. We managed to squeeze a six hour trip into twelve hours. My Mother and Sister stopped four times and forgot which exit to use and that was just from Pensacola to our house in Milton.
But this really sums up the driving portion of our Christmas in Georgia adventure.
Three cars caravaning.
We approach a large intersection in Tallahassee. I mean a large intersection.
Car A goes to the far left turn lane.
Car B goes to the far right turn lane.
Car C panics and in a very indecisive moment swerves first to the left...then remembers that Car A is following Mapquest directions and everybody knows that Mapquest gives at least one wrong turn just to make a trip interesting...so Car C now swerves to the right.
Only Car C doesn't know that the GPS in Car B is having some kind of hiccup and is emphatically stating that we have reached our destination...only there isn't a Whataburger in sight so, uhm...no we haven't.
Guess which car I'm in? That's right...Car C.
With my Mother.
Who is alternately calling out to God for mercy and demanding to know just what kind of vehicle I'm driving that doesn't have a grab-and-hold-on-we're-all-gonna-die strap.
Did I mention that it was raining too?
It was.
It was still raining the next morning.
And afternoon.
And evening.
And it was raining when we took the trolley ride through Callaway Gardens to see the Christmas lights.
It was raining and cold. Really, really cold.
Did I mention that there are no sides to the trolleys you ride in to tour the lights of Callaway Gardens?
There aren't.
They also don't do refunds so that's why we rode around in the freezing cold, getting soaking wet trying to keep the little ones as dry and warm as possible. At some point we just laughed.
Of course we got lost every time we moved out of a driveway.
Of course the girl at Wendy's couldn't get our orders right...and tried to give my sisters 86 cents worth of change in nickles.
Of course my window got stuck when I rolled it down.
Of course it rained on us as we looked at pretty Christmas lights.
This is a normal family gathering for us.
I can't wait until next year.
We want to get a beach condo.

2 comments:

Paula said...

I laughed when Marty relayed this adventure to me over the phone. I REALLY laughed when I read this blog. I cannot wait until their next family outing. No wonder the men don't want to go on these adventures!!!! POOR MARIE!!!!!!

Mel said...

It sounds like something that would happen in our family. Great memories.

We missed you. Hope to see you tomorrow.