To live content with small means; to seek elegance rather than luxury, and refinement rather than fashion; to be worthy, not respectable, and wealthy, not, rich; to listen to stars and birds, babes and sages, with open heart; to study hard; to think quietly, act frankly, talk gently, await occasions, hurry never; in a word, to let the spiritual, unbidden and unconscious, grow up through the common--this is my symphony.
~William Henry Channing

Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Our Camping Adventure

So...
We went camping.
We're home now.
It was...camping.
I was talking to a friend of mine and she asked, "What'd ya do all day?"
I had to stop and think for a minute.
"Well, there is lots of cooking and cleaning."
And that is when it hit me.
Camping is work. I'm pretty sure that if you look under the word 'work' in a thesaurus you'll find the word camping listed.
But seriously...no wait, I am serious. It is a lot of work. But it's a lot of fun because you're with a bunch of people that you love and enjoy hanging out with.
So we really did enjoy it. Well, to be honest we each enjoyed it to varying degrees.
Sarah loved being with her friends. (There was a nice overlap of church and school people for us.) However, she did say...and I quote..."I need a building. I need to be able to go inside and not be surrounded by nature."
Emily as you might guess, absolutely loved it. She is my Lil' House on the Prairie pioneer girl and the whole adventure was right up her alley.
Sam loved it. He's already making plans for another trip...even going so far as to remember the name of every camp ground we have ever driven past. He has the memory of an elephant. He helped Rob put up the tent. And he helped tear everything down when it was time to go.
"Mom, are closing down our village?"
"Yes, son."
"Are we going home to our Avalon village?" (We live off of Avalon Blvd.)
Abby...Abby is happy. She's happy camping. She's happy not camping. She's just happy. She did go on the late night spooky walk, was terrified to the point of shaking but quickly settled when Pastor Stout picked her up and they watched the 'ghost' (our friends) come out of the woods.
Claire. Hhmmm, I guess the verdict is still out on this one. She in turn loved and hated it. Some flaps on our tent cover were not fastened down so along about 2am when the wind really began to kick up it sounded like we were in the middle of a hurricane. Which woke her up...and subsequently freaked her completely out. I gave up at 6:30 and got up and put her in bed with Rob.
That was the first night...no sleep.
The second night...got cold. Really, really cold. A little sleep.
The third night was much better. We had a bigger heater so we stayed nice and cosy warm.
Let's see...what else?
Oh, yes! I must tell you this. Remember when I said camping equals work? I have two words for you.
Shower. Time.
Water shoes plus kids are words not ever to be mentioned in connection to one another within my presence ever again. Or I'm sure I'll have some violent post traumatic stress flashback. The upside though? This particular camp ground must have the largest water heaters known to mankind. When it was my turn to take a shower I just stood under hot water that had just the right amount of pressure behind it until my skin looked sun burned and pruney all at the same time. Ahhh, the bliss!
One other thing...if you ever receive the horrible tragic news that you only have months to live...have no fear! Go camping. Because once the sun goes down...time just slides to a slooooow, almost complete and utter standstill. You'll feel like those few months last longer than the whole rest of your life I promise! (Okay, I am being quite sarcastic but honestly...only a teensy weensy bit.)
It really was a good time. Good friends, good food, good fun.
I'm glad we went. I'm glad we're home but I am glad we went.
And we'll probably go again.
One day.
Next year or something.

0 comments: