To live content with small means; to seek elegance rather than luxury, and refinement rather than fashion; to be worthy, not respectable, and wealthy, not, rich; to listen to stars and birds, babes and sages, with open heart; to study hard; to think quietly, act frankly, talk gently, await occasions, hurry never; in a word, to let the spiritual, unbidden and unconscious, grow up through the common--this is my symphony.
~William Henry Channing

Thursday, October 15, 2009

Well, Rob went down. He came home from class Tuesday night and was sick all night. I'm really sorry he wasn't well but I did love having him home all day yesterday...even if he did sleep most of it :-) So for those of you keeping score the stomach bug has taken out five of the seven Haddings. Sarah and I are the last ones standing although both of us at times feel like we are battling bouts of nausea.

Case in point...at the moment I am writing this with a warm cup of peppermint tea in the hopes of settling things in my tummy without violence. My sweet friend who dropped off dinner the other night also left a bag of the tea with a reusable tea bag. Made from a type of cheese cloth or linen, it reminds me that while I'm not in the habit of tea everyday I do love the accoutrements that come with the practice. My cup is also a gift from a lovely friend. Sweet reminders of being loved...and the graciousness of God. Take a look around you right now...what do you see that are testaments of God's graciousness in placing you within community?
I hope it makes you smile to see them.
I read a CS Lewis quote this morning that is sticking in my brain. May I share it with you? It's a rather long one form his book, Weight of Glory.
“It may be possible for each to think too much of his own potential glory hereafter; it is hardly possible for him to think too often or too deeply about that of his neighbour. The load, or weight, or burden of my neighbour’s glory should be laid daily on my back, a load so heavy that only humility can carry it, and the backs of the proud will be broken. It is a serious thing to live in a society of possible gods and goddesses, to remember that the dullest and most uninteresting person you talk to may one day be a creature which, if you saw it now, you would be strongly tempted to worship, or else a horror and a corruption such as you now meet, if at all, only in a nightmare. All day long we are, in some degree, helping each other to one or other of these destinations. It is in the light of these overwhelming possibilities, it is with the awe and the circumspection proper to them, that we should conduct all our dealings with one another, all friendships, all loves, all play, all politics. There are no ordinary people. You have never talked to a mere mortal. Nations, cultures, arts, civilization—these are mortal, and their life is to ours as the life of a gnat. But it is immortals whom we joke with, work with, marry, snub, and exploit—immortal horrors or everlasting splendours...Next to the Blessed Sacrament itself, your neighbour is the holiest object presented to your senses. If he is your Christian neighbour he is holy in almost the same way, for in him also Christ vere latitat—the glorifier and the glorified, Glory Himself, is truly hidden.”
This...this is how I want to be viewed. This is how I want to view my husband...my children...my family. This is what I want to see when I look at you. Forsaking my own sense and awareness of self and seeing all the glorious possibilities bound up in who you are in Him. I know some will look at that quote and object to 'gods and goddesses' but within the context of what he is saying I think I agree. We shift our thinking from that of mere fallen man and and see a people redeemed by a great, and glorious King...and somehow it becomes about the wonder of the King.
So, now the tea that is left has cooled and it seems to have worked a peaceable magic on me. I'll go back to my rather mundane and ordinary tasks of cleaning house...but my mind will be mulling over this quote...this life we live in the here and not yet.

0 comments: