To live content with small means; to seek elegance rather than luxury, and refinement rather than fashion; to be worthy, not respectable, and wealthy, not, rich; to listen to stars and birds, babes and sages, with open heart; to study hard; to think quietly, act frankly, talk gently, await occasions, hurry never; in a word, to let the spiritual, unbidden and unconscious, grow up through the common--this is my symphony.
~William Henry Channing

Monday, October 5, 2009

It was wonderful, wasn't it? The few days last week when we could shut off the air conditioner and throw the windows open wide...the teasing autumn coolness taunting us only to disappear into the muggy wetness of today. I did enjoy hearing the steady drum of the rain this morning. For some reason the sound is louder here than at the old house. I'll admit I was a wee bit sad to see the sun peeking weakly through the clouds. Sometimes it's just good to see the earth awash in a steady downpour.


Have you noticed all the butterflies lately? They've dipped and swayed in and out of our yard, twisting and circling one another in some kind of enchanted play. Almost too quick to snatch a picture of, but I got this one as it darted up the fence. Tomorrow, I am going on a field trip with Abby to the Butterfly House in Navarre so hopefully I'll have some better images to share.

I've started a diet and exercise plan. I'm also going to let my bangs grown out. I think. I'm not sure what will be harder...losing the weight or not whacking my bangs off in frustration. I have a feeling that both will be difficult. I have several friends at church doing the South Beach thing...and others who are just working at eating better...healthier. I'm somewhere in the middle I think. The diabetes thing is freaking me out a bit...I'm at a higher risk for adult onset because I had gestational diabetes with Sam and my Dad has adult onset. I'd rather be proactive and aggressive before hand than try and get a handle on it after the fact. We'll see how it goes. Rob is being sweetly supportive...he hasn't asked me to bake chocolate chip cookies lately :-) Autumn is my favorite time of year and one of the things I love about it is the yummy baking...pies, breads, and candies. Methinks, if I do baking anytime soon I'm going to need to gift it away quickly or my bangs won't be the only thing causing me frustration.
Saturday we went to the Fall Festival at school. It was a lot of fun and I wish I could tell you how amazing Trinitas is without sounding like no other school compares to it...but honestly, I don't think any other school does compare. I know of at least two families that literally moved across the country to be here...it is a really cool place. Use the link and check it out. Better yet come for a visit.
Anyway, back to Saturday...it was a bunch of fun. The cook out covered our dinner time so our Sabbath evening was a little different. After we got home and finished baths and showers, everyone piled up in our bed and there was much giggling and playing. It ended with a version of "Ten in the Bed" with everyone rolling onto the floor except Daddy. We all went to bed early and slept...hour upon quiet hour. Every once in a while I would drift up in that hazy way of not completely awake and inhale the peace...knowing my kids were all snuggled safe in their beds and beside me was the man who loves me more than anything...a sigh of contentment and I'd settle back to sleep.
You know how you have those mommy moments? Those times when one of your children does something that zings right into your heart? Yesterday at church we sang "Joyful, Joyful We Adore Thee"...that happens to be one of Claire's favorite songs. The expression on her face was utter delight when it began to play. It was so precious. And then there was another mommy moment this morning. I'm pretty sure Rob is going to have a wonderful day. The first thing Sam said to him this morning was, "Dad, I prayed to God that He would bless you."

I'm pretty sure He answered that prayer, son.

2 comments:

Mel said...

You describe family so sweetly.

Brittany said...

I miss seeing your sweet family, and loving reading your blog. Your photos reflect you perfectly to me! I hope you are all well and enjoying the beginnings of Fall!
Take care, Brittany
I have been playing around with my camera more, and would love to ask you some questions about lenses and such.