To live content with small means; to seek elegance rather than luxury, and refinement rather than fashion; to be worthy, not respectable, and wealthy, not, rich; to listen to stars and birds, babes and sages, with open heart; to study hard; to think quietly, act frankly, talk gently, await occasions, hurry never; in a word, to let the spiritual, unbidden and unconscious, grow up through the common--this is my symphony.
~William Henry Channing

Monday, September 21, 2009

Hello World

Remember me? It's been a while hasn't it? I must say I have enjoyed life with no internet and phone. But, alas, here I am tentatively opening the door to the outside world again. Why, you ask, if I enjoyed the freedom away from internet connection? Well, this is the long and short of it.

Somehow, life went on without me being part of the cyber world. Family and friends kept facebooking, contacts kept uploading pictures to Flickr and carrying on in group discussions, and my favorite bloggers kept blogging.
All without me.
An you know what? My life in real time...in the real world...still happened. Without all the facebooking, flickring, blogging moments. It is amazing how content and productive one can be without all the distractions.
Now I am certainly not saying that these things are evil in and of themselves. (Yes, my love, I know you think Flickr is the essence of evil but really it's not :-)
Where was I? Oh, yes...these things aren't wicked...but they are amazingly subtle thieves. They can steal time and energy as well as creativity. All the while giving a pseudo sense of accomplishment and productivity that is as substantial as a wisp of smoke.
Go on. Try it for yourself. Disconnect for one week from the computer and see what happens. You may shrug and say it was no big deal...but you may find that something changes...even if it's just the way you view life.
So what was I up to during this sabbatical? Well, for one thing we moved. And within two weeks I pretty much had the whole house set up and in order. (Okay, minus the garage but still...) I also read a book called "Created to be His Help Meet" that I am not going to recommend because frankly some of you would just get totally ticked off reading it. It is harsh and confronting and pretty much dead on when it comes to husband and wife relationships. It said things I didn't want to hear and called me to task on my attitude and I am glad I read it. And seriously, if you want to take your role as a wife next level, then get a copy and read it. But do so with caution...you probably won't like it. (You husband will though :-)
Okay, back to the move. We are ecstatic with our new home! It really isn't a whole lot bigger than our old house but it has a very open floor plan that makes all the difference in the world. Keep in mind as you look at the pictures that we don't have curtains up in every room and such...we are taking our time and being very deliberate in our decorating.
The view from outside...off to the right is a huge gardenia bush that smells absolutely wonderful!
Views from different parts of the living room...

Ask me how excited I am to have my hutch out of the garage and back in the house? Thrilled I tell you...absolutely thrilled! There are some neat plates at Hobby Lobby that I am going to eventually buy to go along the top...and then on the second shelf I think I'll do some seasonal displays...
The kitchen isn't any larger at all but both ends are open which made a big difference in how roomie it feels...
Our bedroom on the other hand is way bigger...and we love the extra space! But I don't have a good picture of it so that will keep for another time. I was almost as excited as Abby and Claire at their barbie pink bedroom...
Because I could finally hang this again...a friend painted it on an old wooden window frame and I fell in love with the whimsical look of it...
Of course Sarah and Emily's room is less little girlie...we are still debating on what kind of beds to get, (Anyone have a daybed they want to get rid of?) so for now the mattresses are on the floor but I bet you can tell whose bed is whose...
Sam has the coolest bed ever...a desk,dresser drawers, a bunk bed, a secret bed (trundle), and a clubhouse that runs the length of it...it sure made the adjustment to being alone easier for him...
All in all we are very happy and pleased with our new space. So come on by...drop in and see us anytime...the door's open :-)

0 comments: