To live content with small means; to seek elegance rather than luxury, and refinement rather than fashion; to be worthy, not respectable, and wealthy, not, rich; to listen to stars and birds, babes and sages, with open heart; to study hard; to think quietly, act frankly, talk gently, await occasions, hurry never; in a word, to let the spiritual, unbidden and unconscious, grow up through the common--this is my symphony.
~William Henry Channing

Monday, August 17, 2009

Yesterday morning during Pastor Dan's Old Testament reading Claire got so excited and at first I didn't know why. Well, to be truthful knowing why came second...getting her to hush was first priority. (I mean seriously, when is the last time you heard a two and a half year old actually whisper quietly?) Pastor Dan kept reading though and again Claire turns to me with this huge smile saying, "He said me! It's me!"
Aha! The light was dawning for me...every time he read the word "declare" she got very excited. De-Claire.
Now, somebody tell me that children her age shouldn't be in church because they cannot comprehend what is being said and done. She is hearing...and apparently listening very closely. I am blessed to be a part of a community where families are encouraged to train their little ones to be in worship. Because sometimes it gets messy. And sometimes it gets loud. But it is worth the work.

*************************************************************************************

Sometimes we put a lot of emphasis on the big things. We talk freely of miracles when a new life is born or a sickness is healed but we don't speak of waking up each morning or drawing our next breathe with the same awe. We share freely and joyfully when a friend blesses us in some specific way...and rightly so. But why not just randomly brag on that friend for the blessing of their faithful and steadfast friendship? We wives love to exclaim to our girlfriends when our husbands have been particularly romantic, but what about the joy of everyday living life together? This morning the children slept a little later than usual. It was nice to do our normal morning routine with Rob with nothing else going on. After I kissed him goodbye I was watching him go to his truck and I realized how happy he makes my heart simply just by being there. Nothing special happened...he didn't wax poetic and murmur sweet nothings in my ear before he left...but in that moment of ordinariness I saw the extra-ordinariness of our life together. It is beautiful.

*************************************************************************************

Totally random and unconnected thought having nothing to do with anything but...
Does anyone else find it funny that the online edition of the Pensacola News Journal lists the lotto winners at the bottom of the page of the arrest log?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Claire- ha ha! So adorable! I agree- I love that our church welcomes little ones. I love hearing the babies babbling and seeing children squirming, trying to sit still. It feels like it should- like family.

Having Chuck gone so long really makes me appreciate the ordinariness of everyday life with him. How I've missed waking up to his sweet face and warm touch, and the order that comes from having a man in the home. Life is good when you live with your best friend. :)

BeckyJ

Donna said...

I guess you and I are on the very same page at the same time :)

Marty said...

Great minds think alike Donna :-)