To live content with small means; to seek elegance rather than luxury, and refinement rather than fashion; to be worthy, not respectable, and wealthy, not, rich; to listen to stars and birds, babes and sages, with open heart; to study hard; to think quietly, act frankly, talk gently, await occasions, hurry never; in a word, to let the spiritual, unbidden and unconscious, grow up through the common--this is my symphony.
~William Henry Channing

Sunday, August 23, 2009

We decided when we first began our Sabbath meals that it was important for us to guard that time jealously. Consequently, we have a very short list of things that will keep us from having that meal time. But we knew at some point we would miss it and last weekend was our first exception. We had a lovely time with friends but you know what? We all really missed what has, for us, become our way of preparing for worship. Sam kept asking when we were going to have our Sabbath meal, and if you were in church last week you are aware that he was a tad bit out of sorts...he spoke out a lot which is something he hasn't done lately. (A fact for which Dad and Mom are most grateful! :-) Everyone sensed the lack of quiet settled-ness that grows from prepared hearts and minds. The funny thing is that we all love that time and have enjoyed it, but just didn't realize how big an impact it has had on us. The fruit of our Sabbath meal is a treasure and I am thankful that there isn't much allowed to interrupt it.
Well, we got back to it this week and what an adventure it was! Did you know that if you try to add cook and serve tapioca pudding that hasn't completely set to cool whip hoping to create a beautifully layered dessert that it just blobs and mixes together? And did you also know that the pudding will never set at this point even if you leave it in the fridge for a couple of hours? It's true my friends...try it for yourself if you like and I hope you enjoy your tapioca smoothie.

Did you know that it takes less than three minutes for marshmallows to catch on fire when you set the oven to broil so they'll brown quicker?
This is probably one of the worst pictures I've ever taken but Rob wasn't real keen on holding a flaming pan of marshmallows for a photo op. Have you ever made sweet potato casserole? Sam loves it with the toasted marshmallow topping. And for the record we were able to rescue the potato part and try it again but obviously things didn't go well the first time. All I did was step out of the kitchen for one second to snap this picture...

Grandma and Ms. Bobbie were our first Sabbath meal guests. It was quite fun to have them join and participate with us. Rob had typed out a different part of the Beatitudes and we all went around the table sharing our verses. There is something so amazing about God's word. Something so much bigger than us when we read it together. This passage in particular is very meaningful to me. Rob preached through it a few years ago and it changed my life and the way I live it. Sitting around the table last night with family and friends and I knew I can ask nothing greater from our God than that He would grant us the desire and ability to live and breathe this word for all the world to see.
Our Sabbath meal is one way we are seeking to turn the world upside down. Because it strengthens us...it adds to our worship which in turn allows us to add to our corporate worship...which is spiritual warfare.
Tell me about you...how are you turning things upside down because of your faith?

2 comments:

Paula said...

I shared the Sabbath Meal with friends at church this morning. They seemed very interested and amazed that this is really happening is some homes. It was such a beautiful evening - I LOVE being with my family. The meal was spectacular and Ms. Bobbie and I ate too much! Everything was great. The children are so much fun - we did, however, miss Sarah!!! Thank you for inviting us and letting us share some outdoor time with the kids. It was fun playing with them and not rushing around. I plan to incorporate this Sabbath meal into my home when I return from my vacation - even if it means I just prepare a sweet, lovely, meal for myself - and share my blessings with the Lord! I am so blessed!!!!!

Mrs. Sarah Elizabeth Marchlewski said...

HEHEHEHEHEHEHEEHEHEE HAHAHAHAHAHA!

I'm sorry the fire is a bit funny, only because it's to close to home. I bet it made the meal joyous.