To live content with small means; to seek elegance rather than luxury, and refinement rather than fashion; to be worthy, not respectable, and wealthy, not, rich; to listen to stars and birds, babes and sages, with open heart; to study hard; to think quietly, act frankly, talk gently, await occasions, hurry never; in a word, to let the spiritual, unbidden and unconscious, grow up through the common--this is my symphony.
~William Henry Channing

Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Walk With Him Wednesday

Something new today...participating in one of my favorite blogs to read...
she has a way with words...somehow lifting the mundane into the beautiful.
Each Wednesday will cover a specific topic...right now we're talking about prayer.
Words don't come easily for me to describe prayer...prayer isn't something easily defined unless some worn out cliche is involved and somehow that just leaves something to be desired.
Sometimes my prayers do to...and I fight to pray. Other times my prayer is the way of fighting...sometimes prayer is the stream rushing cool and white in the midst of a lush green forest...Then there are the times when my prayers are in the stillness, the quiet of His love and they wash over me and worship is just simply breathing in His presence.
What about you...tell me about prayer...about your prayers...
Dry and cracking
Brittle, hard
Shades of gray
Struggling, labor
Toil no words come
The spirit groans

Refreshing
Sweetly flowing
Washing away
A balm, soothing
Restoration

Decisive
Strong and sure
A sword drawn
Protecting
Defending

Humbleness
Still, calm
Quiet
Hands lifted
A heart that is free

7 comments:

beautyinallthings said...

"Sometimes my prayers do to...and I fight to pray. Other times my prayer is the way of fighting...sometimes prayer is the stream rushing cool and white in the midst of a lush green forest...Then there are the times when my prayers are in the stillness, the quiet of His love and they wash over me and worship is just simply breathing in His presence."

So beautifully put. So perfectly described. Thank you for echoing my heart.

Cherry Blossom

Dianne said...

So beautiful--thank you!

deb said...

these words , the images, were all how many feel I think, and you said it so beautifully

Angelique said...

That is beautiful, the words come when you least expect it. I think it's the Father teaching us not to control it. Sometimes I think he just wants us to be raw and truthful because that is where he meets us, where I am just being me.

Karen said...

You asked for us to tell you about prayer - about our prayers. I've talked about prayer in my post. So if you get a chance, come on by. I have to agree with you that Ann at A Holy Experience has such a way with words. I love reading her posts!

Hope you have a wonderful Thursday!
Karen

christinnjon said...

Your words were rather descriptive and beautiful, if you ask me. :)

lovely loser said...

"Refreshing
Sweetly flowing
Washing away
A balm, soothing
Restoration"

if only it were always like this. it amazes me how different our prayers can be and how much effort we have to put into them sometimes.