To live content with small means; to seek elegance rather than luxury, and refinement rather than fashion; to be worthy, not respectable, and wealthy, not, rich; to listen to stars and birds, babes and sages, with open heart; to study hard; to think quietly, act frankly, talk gently, await occasions, hurry never; in a word, to let the spiritual, unbidden and unconscious, grow up through the common--this is my symphony.
~William Henry Channing

Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Pray...

without ceasing I Thessalonians 5:17

*******************************************************

The phone rings...a friend of a friend is suffering a loss I cannot even imagine...I look at my children and close my eyes...

May the God of all comfort and peace dwell richly with you

*******************************************************

She comes to me, her soft blue eyes damp and a catch in her voice...something has happened...pulling her close in my arms I listen, "Momma, I was in my room praying that God would make us obedient..." tears fall and I hug her closer realizing that her heart has been touched by the Spirit...not just mother and daughter but sister to sister bonded by the knowledge of need for Christ...I close my eyes...

Thank you for showing Yourself to this little one

******************************************************

I'm cooking dinner and he leans against the counter...arms across his chest, ankle over ankle...it's a stance of his that I find comforting and we talk...of the hard things to come...some uncertainty in our life...waiting for change...and he unfolds his arms and pulls me close...I close my eyes...

Two are better than one and I am blessed

*****************************************************

His Word is the pillar for the the words I use...a framework for the vine of my prayers...leaves of thought twinning and twisting throughout the day...then a flower blossoms from praise or need...a garden of prayers that declare of His goodness and offer a sweet smelling sacrifice to the One who tends my soul...weeds of discontent and selfishness are pulled and dug out...pruning is painful but the blooms flourish with a right spirit...a life lived anxious for nothing but lived instead by prayer...supplication...and thanksgiving.

****************************************************

Sharing in the Holy Experience

6 comments:

Donna M. said...

Know that I read every new post and know that just because a comment is not left it does not mean that your often inspired words have not left there mark on me. Thank you Marty.

Jessica said...

I second Donna M.'s same thoughts/feelings.

=)

Mike and Molly Spivey said...

Really appreciate that post! Beautifully written!

Traci~ Ordinary Inspirations for the everyday wife, mommy, and homemaker said...

WOW (tear-filled eyes). Great post!

deb said...

I liked this . Thank you

Mel said...

That was touching. Really touching.