To live content with small means; to seek elegance rather than luxury, and refinement rather than fashion; to be worthy, not respectable, and wealthy, not, rich; to listen to stars and birds, babes and sages, with open heart; to study hard; to think quietly, act frankly, talk gently, await occasions, hurry never; in a word, to let the spiritual, unbidden and unconscious, grow up through the common--this is my symphony.
~William Henry Channing

Sunday, August 2, 2009

Love Letters


It was magical. The last few weeks we've been feeling our way...turning it this way or that...testing and trying...seeing what works...and last night part of it clicked...and locked into place.

I found this little silver tree-ish thing at the thrift for 99 cents. I think it was originally intended to hold photographs...you know the kind of thing with all the curly ques? Instinctively I reached and plucked it from the shelf without even thinking...I just knew I wanted it.

Yesterday as I was preparing for our Sabbath meal I looked at my little tree thingy and thought, "Oh, this is why!"

Seven little branches...one for each of us. So I sat down and spent the next hour or so choosing verses for each one of my family. Little paper holders where made by Emily and Abby to hold the verses that we then put on the silver tree thingy. (I don't really know what to call it so hence forth it's name shall be "tree.")

For Rob I choose Proverbs 1:5-7..."let the wise hear..." That is my beloved. As he husbands me, and Father's our children, and as he pastors I am constantly amazed at how wise he is. God is gracious and his word is true...the one who seeks wisdom as a jewel will find it.

For myself I choose a simple but rather profound verse...Proverbs 14:1...the contrast between the wise woman who builds her house with the foolish one that tears it down. I want this thought of God's to govern each and every action I take in regard to my family...my home.

Sarah is in that wonderfully painful state when she is so aware of her sin and how forgiving and merciful God is to her. It has led to many tear filled conversations of "Why?" so for this precious child of mine I choose Psalm 51:1,2 & 10.

Emily is just growing through the roof it seems. Fast approaching that in between stage of development...wanting to do what the big kids are doing and then in the next moment sitting down with her little sister making paper clothes for a barbie doll. For I wrote out Psalm 119:10-12...remember sweet one to seek God with your whole heart...and treasure his word so that you will not loose your way.

We talk a lot with Sam about choosing to be wise rather than foolish. For some reason those words make sense to him so his verse was Proverbs 10:1...he affirmed that he wants to make Daddy glad and does not want to cause me to be sad. It will come up a lot this week...steering his mind back to this verse.

Abby was relatively simple. I saw the verse...Proverbs 20:11...and knew it was for her. Ask anyone about Abby and you more than likely will hear about her loving smile and sweet attitude. We want to encourage her to remember that everyone, young or old, is known by their actions and to guard against sin so that she will continue to be known for pure conduct.

Little miss Claire even had a verse special for her. That child is such a handful but adds such joy to our family. Watching her eat slightly tart blueberries is about the funniest thing we've ever seen. With all the attention she receives it'll be easy for her to continue to think she is something special...and I mean that in the sin corrupted bad way. So her verse was Psalm 139:13-14...taking the focus off of her delightful little self and instead rejoicing in her Creator.

We went around the table and took turns reading our verses and talking about them a bit. Nothing big and heavy but it was simple and magical.

This part of our meal...this way of feasting on the word...is the first thing we've planted...the first part that we ask God to give root and remain in place for our Sabbath meal. It may look different from meal to meal...this week the children will determine their own verse to share...something they'll read that is meaningful. Other times Rob and I...together or separately...will choose the verses again. Each week this tree will flourish...and we will feast upon Christ and his word.

We desire that our family...our children...our lives be a "...letter of recommendation, written on our hearts, to be known and read by all." II Corinthians 3:2

What does your letter say? What do people read when they look at your life?

5 comments:

Al said...

Lovely Marty... just lovely...

We want to be like you when we get mature.

al sends

Marty said...

Al, your family gave us our first real picture of a Sabbath meal...y'all gave us our starting point and we will forever be grateful :-)
You guys bless us!

amanda said...

Enjoyed seeing you yesterday. Fun to chat some.

Marty said...

I enjoyed it to Amanda...I look forward to doing so again!

Mrs. Sarah Elizabeth Marchlewski said...

This is just so delightful, and encouraging.